Job Seekers, Sign In
Instructor of Philosophy and Coordinator of Humanities « Position Deleted on 7/06/2013 »
|Institution:||Dyersburg State Community College|
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsDYERSBURG STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Instructor of Philosophy and Coordinator of Humanities
DSCC is currently accepting applicants for a full-time, academic year, tenure-track position in Philosophy. The position reports to the Dean of Arts and Sciences and will begin August 1, 2013. This position may be located at the Jimmy Naifeh Center at Tipton County or in Dyersburg depending on the location of the successful candidate.
* Teach 24 hours (TLE) per academic year in college-level Philosophy.
* Coordinate the Humanities Department in conjunction with the Dean of Arts and Sciences. The specific coordinator duties are available on request.
* Flexibility to teach evening, weekend, and/or off-campus classes as needed (requires use of personal vehicle).
* Practice a learning-centered educational philosophy and redesign courses to include research-based learning strategies including service learning opportunities, learning communities, critical thinking skills, cooperative learning, and reading across the curriculum.
* Develop web-enhanced courses for delivery in technology-enhanced classrooms or online.
* Become certified in using the course management system for all classes.
* Develop courses for delivery via online and interactive television.
* Work with colleagues to assess the effectiveness of courses, analyze the results, develop and implement improvement plans, and document this information on an annual basis in the form prescribed by DSCC.
* Revise and develop curriculum in cooperation with colleagues; assist in preparation of schedules and in selection of textbooks (including e-textbooks when appropriate).
* Participate in professional development and maintain membership in an appropriate regional, state and/or national organization related to teaching assignment at DSCC.
* Be trained as a Master Advisor.
* Advise students, maintain regular office hours, and participate in campus life and committee work of the college.
* Assist in identifying and mentoring adjunct instructors.
* Actively communicate with colleagues using email and other electronic means.
* Must communicate well in oral and written English.
QUALIFICATIONS: Master's degree with 18 graduate semester hours in Philosophy and teaching experience at the community college level required. Doctorate preferred. Preference will be given to candidates with strengths toward teaching Ethics and 18 graduate hours in an additional discipline supporting the general education core.
Salary is commensurate with college pay scale. Review of applications begins April 30 and continues until filled. To apply for this position, send an official DSCC application, resume, cover letter, three current professional letters of recommendation, and official transcripts (sent to DSCC directly from the institution) to:
Dyersburg State Community College
Human Resources Department
1510 Lake Road
Dyersburg, TN 38024
Dyersburg State Community College, a member of the Tennessee Board of Regents, is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities.