Construction Safety Officer I « Position Deleted on 4/11/2013 »
School/Unit: Campus Services
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Provides field oversight of University construction and renovation projects. Communicates safety requirements to contractors in pre-bid walkthroughs and pre-construction meetings, reviews contractor safety plans, monitors contractor compliance with major program elements, reviews site conditions during project inspections, and produces inspection reports.
2. Working with the Senior Construction Safety Officer, participates in the development of project-related construction safety elements, including University design requirements, construction-related specifications, requests for proposals, contractor and consultant pre-qualification, regulatory interpretation, training program development, inspections, program quality criteria, and assessment tools.
3. Review project specific construction project design documents and specifications. Provide comments and recommendations with respect to: compliance with Harvard's Environmental Health and Safety Guidelines for Design, opportunities to incorporate minimal fabrication changes to permit safer construction methods and designs that might create problems for the safe use, operation and maintenance of the new structure.
4. Participates in the development of construction safety training programs. Delivers construction safety training as required.
5. Assess contractor safety performance and provide feedback to Senior Construction Safety Officer to assist in maintaining a "preferred list" of contractors based upon Harvard-specific safety performance.
6. Provides regular reports to Project Managers and Contractors regarding safety program implementation and compliance. Attends construction meetings as necessary.
7. Participates in accident and incident investigation and post-incident review meetings as necessary. Reports findings to Senior Construction Safety Officer and clients and develops strategies for mitigating the recurrence of similar incidents across the University.
8. Assists in the response to construction site safety inspections by OSHA, Massachusetts Department of Labor and Work Force Development, and local municipalities' inspectional services departments as necessary.
9. Performs trend analysis and provides reports and metrics of assigned projects to the Senior Construction Safety Officer to facilitate analysis of construction safety program status and effectiveness.Basic Qualifications
Bachelor's degree required, preferably in technical or scientific field related to a safety discipline, with a minimum of 3-5 years experience in construction safety. Requires strong working knowledge of federal, state, and local construction safety regulations.
Must be able to establish effective working relationships with University Project Managers and Contractors. Must be able to manage multiple projects and priorities and make sound decisions in a timely fashion. Ability to function in a position designed to serve independent operating units in decentralized environment.
Expertise in Microsoft products, including Word, Access, Excel, Project, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Must attain expertise in the use of other common scheduling, communication, and inspection software in use at Harvard including Eudora, Primavera, and Predictive Solutions. Understands and can utilize AutoCAD, EH&S core database applications and data management tools used for analyzing construction reporting data.
Must be able to frequently walk up and down stairs and occasionally use ladders or enter confined spaces..Must have sufficient mobility, dexterity, and endurance to perform field visits.Additional Qualifications
Registration as a Certified Safety Professional and completion of the OSHA 500 Trainer course is preferred.
Participates in EH&S Emergency Response Program on rotating basis, as a cross-trained EH&S staff member, will be required to be available to respond to emergencies during non-business hours.
Emergency Status Designation
Critical Operations PersonnelAdditional Information
This position is responsible for implementing University construction safety programs for assigned projects working under the direction of the Senior Construction Safety Officer. The Construction Safety Officer communicates construction safety program requirements to University project managers, other construction management personnel, and contractors. Key responsibilities include participation in the development of construction safety programs, pre-construction planning, on-site safety observation and reporting, monitoring contractor compliance, and tracking key construction safety indicators. Provides feedback to Senior Construction Safety Officer and specific project managers relative to program, project, and contractor performance.