Job Seekers, Sign In
Online Adjunct Instructor for Child Development « Position Deleted on 6/29/2011 »
|Institution:||UKA Teacher U|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsPosition: Online Adjunct Instructor for Child Development
Location: Flexible, but must be in New York City, New York for a full day
training on June 11, 2011
Teacher U is a revolutionary, practical, results-oriented teacher training program developed by the founders of Uncommon Schools, KIPP, and Achievement First. Over the past three years, Teacher U has established and managed a master's level program at Hunter College known as Teacher U at Hunter College.
The Online Adjunct Instructor will play a critical role in providing high-leverage feedback to enrolled teachers on Teacher U assessments to help promote student achievement gains. The Child Development course runs June 27 until September 2, 2011. Prior to the launch of the course for teachers, the Online Adjunct Instructor will also be responsible for reviewing course materials, beginning on June 6. The Online Adjunct Instructor will be guiding a group of about 25 enrolled teachers through the course and helping them to understand the content by participating in discussion forums and responding to teacher questions. Additionally, while the course is entirely asynchronous, Online Adjunct Instructors will participate in a weekly grade-norming call. As the responsibilities for this role may be carried out anywhere one has a broadband Internet connection, living in or near New York City is not a condition for this position.
The course will consist of 8 online sessions, with the following hours estimates for Instructors:
June: ~6 hours/ week, as well as one day of in-person training
July and first three weeks of August: 22 - 25 hours/ week
Last two weeks of August: ~8-10 hours/ week
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties of the Online Adjunct Instructor at Hunter College are anticipated to include the following:
- Gaining a full understanding of the content and assignments in the course, by working her/ his way through the entire course curriculum (8 online sessions) provided by Teacher U, including assignments, before the start of the course;
- Participating in online training before the start of the course;
- Attending a live, full-day, pre-course training session in New York City on June 11;
- Grading and providing written feedback on all enrolled teachers' assignments within 7 days of the assignment due date, using rubrics provided by the Instructor of Record;
- Grading and providing feedback on any late assignments submitted by enrolled teachers in your group in a timely manner;
- Entering grades/ rubric scores on the Teacher U Course Platform;
- Reflecting on feedback analysis documentation provided by the Course Manager after all Instructors have submitted feedback on each assignment;
- Monitoring, participating in, and providing guiding questions for enrolled teachers' course discussion forums;
- Providing weekly, section-specific updates and guidance to teachers in your group with guidance from the Course Manager;
- Responding to enrolled teachers' email questions within two days;
- Responding to emails from colleagues in a timely manner;
- Preparing for and participating in weekly 1-hour calls with the Instructor of Record and Course Manager on course updates and grade norming;
- Working closely with the Course Manager and Instructor of Record to monitor the progress of enrolled teachers in the course;
- Providing feedback on the course to the Instructor of Record; and
- Assisting with other related responsibilities that may arise from time to time.
This is an outstanding opportunity to play an integral role in urban, public education reform. First and foremost, the Online Adjunct Instructor must share the team's sense of urgency about the need to improve student achievement through phenomenal teacher training. Additionally, candidates for the position must have the following:
- An advanced degree (Master's) in education, with preference for an additional advanced degree in a relevant subject area;
- Flexibility, as well as related ability to work autonomously and to take direction from the Instructor of Record and Course Manager, as needed;
- Breadth and depth of knowledge regarding relevant curriculum and supporting research in the areas of his/ her grade-level/ content-area;
- Comfort with and access to relevant technology (and adequate technology setup, including fast Internet connection, sufficient computer memory and Microsoft Office 2007 for Windows);
- Excellent writing skills;
- A demonstrated passion for urban education and closing the achievement gap; and
- A high level of zest, grit, hope, gratitude, and humor.
Adjunct faculty salary is set by Hunter College in accordance with its standard salary structure. Upon the faculty appointment by Hunter College and upon the acceptance by the candidate of the appointment, Teacher U may provide the candidate with a set consultant fee for contributions to the Teacher U national curriculum model.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your resume to email@example.com with the name of the position for which you are applying in your subject line. If you know of someone who would be an ideal candidate for this position, we encourage you to send his or her name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
UKA Teacher U provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.