Job Seekers, Sign In
Research Lab Technician « Position Deleted on 11/27/2012 »
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsDEPARTMENT: Institution for Health, Social & Community Research (IHSCR)
To be considered for employment, a candidate who meets job opening qualifications must complete the following steps for EACH job opening to which the qualified candidate applies.
1. Submit ALL the following documents in ONE package directly to the Human Resources Department, by ONLY ONE of the following methods: mailed hard copy (recommended for the best presentation of your credentials), or by fax to (919) 546-8484.
- A fully completed Shaw University Application Form (see link below for write-in Application).
- A current resume or curriculum vitae.
A resume or curriculum vitae without an accompanying Shaw University Application Form, and other required documents, cannot be accepted.
2. Order "Official" transcript(s) of the highest degree received (as required by the job posting qualifications) to be MAILED DIRECTLY FROM the institution(s) DIRECTLY to: Human Resources Department, Shaw University, 118 E. South Street, Raleigh, NC 27601.
Following the Human Resources office's receipt of both (1) a candidate's fully completed application package for a current job opening AND (2) mailed receipt of a candidate's official transcript(s) directly from the awarding institution, then a candidate can be considered for employment and their application and transcript information shall be submitted to the recruiting manager and/or selection committee for review.
If viewing a job posting on the HigherEdJobs.com website (or other employment ad websites), do NOT use the "Apply for this position through My HigherEdJobs.com" feature to attempt to apply.
Candidates are personally responsible for any potential travel and/or relocation expenses incurred.
The Research Lab Technician is responsible for conducting an assessment to identify specific actions that can be taken to enhance laboratory operations on the campus. This position will work closely with the Project team, faculty members and investigators to formulate policies and procedures that will facilitate efficient and cost effective laboratory operations that support investigator research and improve competencies for students. Communicate regularly and openly with academic enrichment program for students and research facilities enhancement core directors about research objectives and general laboratory management items and make recommendations for improved operations. This position will report to the Academic Enrichment Program for Students Core Directors on a regular basis and discuss data and information that has been generated by research. This position will develop training materials, manuals, and activities for students to acquaint them with effective laboratory operations.
- Bachelor's degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or Microbiology from an accredited higher educational institution.
- 5-years minimum experience with laboratory operations.
- 1 year experience assisting Principle Investigators with laboratory activities for research.
- Familiarity with aseptic techniques including RNA preparation and purification techniques.
- Higher education institutional experience monitoring and managing laboratory operations.
- Determine and set up instruments, material and apparatus and operate standard laboratory equipment.
- Handle and dispose of hazardous and non-hazardous materials in accordance with safety protocols.
- Stock and maintain laboratory supplies. Monitor inventory levels and orders or secures supplies as needed.
- Maintain accurate records of procedures used to conduct basic experiments.
- Perform limited routine analysis and provide basic interpretations.
- Conduct experiments with minimal supervision.
- Able to interpret the data and assist with formulating experiments.
- Remain abreast of OSHA regulations related to operation of a university laboratory.
- Maintains and updates MSDS records.
- Responsible for ensuring the inventory tagging of all RIMI purchased lab equipment.
- Maintains updated inventory lists of lab equipment.
- Oversees check-out process of lab equipment.
- Schedule and oversee the maintenance, adjustment, or calibration of laboratory
instruments, apparatus, or testing devices.
POSITION SCHEDULED: 12 months - grant contingent
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid annual leave
- Paid holidays
From time to time, benefits may be added or deleted from the Shaw University benefits package.
- Must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
- Subject to a background check, drug screen.
The preceding job description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. It does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise.
Do NOT use the "Apply for this position through My HigherEdJobs.com" feature to apply. Follow the APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS at the top of this job posting.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer