Job Seekers, Sign In
Assistant Director of Admission- African American Recruitment « Position Deleted on 8/08/2012 »
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
|Salary:||$0.00 USD Per Year|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsNorthwestern University invites applications for the position of Assistant Director of Admissions. The Assistant Director of Admissions is one of several assistant directors in the Office of Undergraduate Admission and works primarily with African American student recruitment, on-campus events and outreach to counselors.
- Student recruitment. Organizes information sessions and high school visits. Manages geographic territory (primarily Chicagoland), involves 4-5 weeks of travel and many public presentations. Answers student/family queries by phone, email and in person. Conducts on-campus presentations;
- Reads and evaluates a minimum of 1,2 00 freshmen and transfer applications for admission;
- Under the general direction of the Director of Multicultural Recruitment and Outreach, assists with the recruitment of underrepresented students, with special emphasis on African American recruitment. Supports campus-based programming efforts designed to recruit underrepresented students including student group visits and fly-in programs. Hires, trains and supervises 2-3 work-study students and their projects;
- Cultivates strong working relationships with on- and off-campus offices/organizations that contribute to the advancement of recruitment goals, including, but not limited to, African American student groups, community based organizations, Office of Financial Aid, and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs.
- Bachelor's degree or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which
- 1-3 years experience in college admissions/recruiting, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired;
- High level of understanding of issues affecting African American students in secondary and university education;
- Ability to articulate issues of diversity and how diversity contributes to the educational environment of a highly selective institution;
- Excellent writing, editing and communication skills. Ability to speak effectively before audiences of up to 500 people or more;
- Ability to work independently and within a team under time constraints;
- Requires a valid driver's license and frequent business travel by plane.
Masters degree or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired;
- Background in highly selective college admissions;
- Relevant experience in the development of programs specific to the needs of African American students.
All interested applicants are asked to apply through the University's eRecruit page: http://www.northwestern.edu/hr/careers/index/html.
No calls will be accepted.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer
Date Posted: 6/4/2012
Date Posted: 6/4/2012