Assistant Professor, Creative Writing: Poetry « Position Deleted on 2/14/2013 »
|Institution:||The University of the Arts|
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
NOTICE OF POSITION VACANCY
FULL-TIME ACADEMIC YEAR POSITION
POSITION: Assistant Professor, Creative Writing: Poetry
DEPARTMENT: Division of Liberal Arts
DESCRIPTION: The Division of Liberal Arts of The University of the Arts seeks a full-time faculty member to teach poetry in its new B.F.A. in Creative Writing. The program offers students an unparalleled opportunity to focus on the craft of writing in an inspiring and unique artistic environment in which young authors collaborate with musicians and illustrators, filmmakers and graphic designers, sculptors and actors. The program admits its first entering class in Fall 2013.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The faculty member in this position is a proponent of The University of the Arts' commitment to an innovative arts education that encourages transmedia and interdisciplinary exploration and collaboration within and across its degree programs in the visual, literary, and performing arts and design. This faculty member will:
- Teach introductory, intermediate, and advanced workshops in poetry.
- Teach other courses within the Liberal Arts curriculum depending on expertise, including creative writing workshops in forms other than poetry and upper-division courses in literature.
- Advise and mentor Creative Writing majors, particularly those focusing on poetry.
- Assist in arranging internships for students, including those at American Poetry Review, with which The University of the Arts has a formal affiliation, and provide supervision of student internships.
- Supervise independent student projects by upper-division Creative Writing majors.
- Assist in identifying authors for the program's Visiting Writers' Series, and participate in the series' logistical planning.
- Provide committee service and other duties as required.
- Report to Catherine Gunther Kodat, Dean of the Division of Liberal Arts, and Elise Juska, Director of the Creative Writing Program.
RANK, LOAD, AND CONTRACT START DATE: Assistant Professor (three-year initial appointment), teaching 6 courses annually. Appointment commences September 1, 2013.
TO APPLY: Qualified applicants should submit letters of application, curriculum vitae, samples of work, and the names of three references by e-mail attachment to CWpoet@uarts.edu. Applications received by Friday, December 7, will receive fullest consideration. Preliminary interviews will be conducted at the Modern Language Association convention in Boston, January 3-6, 2013.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS: The University of the Arts, located in the heart of Center City Philadelphia, is one of the only universities in the United States solely dedicated to educating creative individuals in the visual, literary, and performing arts and design. Our 2,100 undergraduates and graduate students and 500 faculty members bring passion to what they do, and in the process redefine how we think, teach, and create.
THE UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER