Dean of School of Agriculture and Natural Resources « Position Deleted on 3/05/2013 »
This is a full-time, twelve-month management confidential (M/C) appointment beginning July 1, 2013.
Responsible to the College Provost, who is the Vice President for Academic Affairs, for the administration of the academic programs in the School of Agriculture and Natural Resources, the Dean:
- Leads and provides a vision for the four academic departments within the School of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Ensures maintenance of academic quality
- Develops budget and oversees allocation of funds
- Facilitates curriculum development and new program initiatives
- Markets, promotes, and represents the School to constituents and acts as a liaison to regional, national, and international industry
- Plans strategically, especially as it pertains to the big picture perspective of Agriculture and Natural Resources;
- Engages in faculty and staff recruitment and selection, supervision and evaluation in coordination with Department Chairs, the Academic Vice President, and the Director of Human Resources
- Assists in the recruitment and retention of students
- Facilitates faculty and staff professional development activities and development of new cooperative industry programs
- Motivates and energizes colleagues
- Cultivates donors and friends of the College
- Oversees college farm, supervises farm management staff, and also oversees the campus farm to table program and the Culinary department's campus restaurant
- Supervises School of Agriculture and Natural Resources office and personnel.
~Master's degree in one of the program areas within the School
~At least three years of demonstrated administrative experience at level of department chair or higher (or equivalent private/public sector administrative expertise)
~Previously earned academic rank in one of the School's disciplines
~College level teaching experience
~Experience running a farm enterprise
~Knowledge and expertise in agricultural systems
~Record of significant scholarship, creative activity, or professional leadership
~Dedication to the philosophy of a technical education and commitment to student success.
~A doctorate or terminal degree in a program represented by the School
~Knowledge of North American agriculture and natural resources strongly preferred.
~Demonstrated knowledge of the farm to table movement
Individual selected will be expected to live in the Cobleskill region.
The Dean of Agriculture and Natural Resources supervises 41 full-time faculty, 23 adjunct faculty, and 24 full-time staff. Curricula include Associate and Bachelor degrees in areas of Culinary Arts, Agricultural Business, Animal Science, Fisheries and Wildlife, Agricultural Engineering Technology, and Plant Science. Facilities consist of a campus restaurant, 750 acre operating farm, including an equestrian facility, a dairy complex, livestock facility, nurseries, greenhouses, a fish hatchery and a Center for Environmental Science and Technology.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
This position offers full New York State benefits which are among the most comprehensive in the country. Minimum salary level for this position is $99,000.
Completed application consists of the following:
1. Letter of application, addressing qualifications for this position
2. Official transcripts, or copies thereof
3. Current resume, with the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references including at least one supervisor/superior
4. SUNY Cobleskill application form