Job Seekers, Sign In
Business Intelligence (BI) Consultant « Position Deleted on 3/10/2013 »
|Institution:||University of Oregon|
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsBusiness Intelligence (BI) Consultant
Closes: Open Until Filled
Appointment Type: Officer of Administration, 12-Month Renewable Contract
Annual FTE: 1.0 FTE
Closing Date: Application Review begins February 4, 2013; open until filled
Information Services, the central Information Technology (IT) organization for the university, consists of four operational units: Enterprise Administrative Applications (EAA), Network and Telecommunications Services, Systems & Operations, and Academic Services. The division also includes the Advanced Network Technology Center (ANTC) and works closely with the Network for Education and Research in Oregon (NERO).
Reporting to the Enterprise Data and Reporting (EDR) Manager, the Business Intelligence (BI) Consultant will design, implement, deploy and support BI reporting sourced from the university enterprise data warehouse (EDW). The position responds to and resolves end-user requests/issues, leads end-user support and training activities and acts in the role of analyst to define and meet University reporting needs. This position functions within a team to initiate, promote and coordinate activities to foster growth within the University report writing community. This position has no budget authority and no supervisory authority.
Duties and Responsibilities
Report Creation Duties
- Consult with the Enterprise Reporting team in Information services
- Perform analysis of new BI reporting requests, including working directly with end-users within their transactional and operational environment
- Define business requirements, objectives, deliverables, and specifications on a project-by-project basis
- Collaborate with the Enterprise Reporting team and other applications staff to conceptualize, implement, and validate new centrally-developed BI reports
- Maintain and enhance existing centrally-developed BI reports and user portals, performing analysis as needed
- Monitor and troubleshoot BI and EDW operations in support of service level agreements
- Assist in defining report development planning including scoping, estimating and scheduling
- Develop and maintain user manuals and guidelines
- Train end-users to operate new or modified developments
- Establish and maintain a learning end-user community at the university
- Recommend and perform software improvements and upgrades
- Provide verbal and written status updates
- Other duties as assigned
The following are minimum requirements for this position:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, or an equivalent amount of skills and experience
- 3 or more years of report development experience with large-scale transactional, enterprise applications (such as Banner, SAP, Oracle Apps, etc.)
- 3 or more years of experience with high-level report development tools (such as Cognos, Crystal, Business Objects, etc.)
- 3 or more years of experience with direct query languages and tools such as SQL, and general software development tools such as source code control, issue tracking and automated testing
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend and adhere to software development process standards aimed at repeatable, cross-team support
- Demonstrated ability to participate in system deployments using multiple instances (such as Development, Test, Training and Production)
- Proven understanding of Business Intelligence concepts and supporting technologies
- Demonstrated excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated experience working with end-users in analysis and/or support/training roles
- Proven ability to be flexible and adaptable in regards to learning and using new technologies
- Proven record of being highly self-motivated and able to take direction
- Keen attention to detail in analysis and validation and strong organizational skills
- Experience working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment with a focus on providing excellent customer service
- U.S. citizenship (or eligibility for employment under prevailing U.S. immigration laws)
- Candidates with experience serving the needs of diverse populations are strongly desired
- Bachelor's degree in the field of Computer Science, Information Systems, or Software Engineering is preferred
- Experience with Ellucian Banner and IBM Cognos
- Experience analyzing Financial, HR or Higher Education data is a plus
Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
In addition to the above mentioned salary, this position has an excellent benefits package including health, dental, insurance, retirement plan, employee tuition rates (transferable to immediate family members under specific circumstances) and excellent vacation and sick leave provisions.
This position is open until filled. To ensure consideration, all materials should arrive by February 4, 2013.
Complete applications must include the following:
A letter of application demonstrating how you meet the qualifications and addressing your interest in the position.
A current résumé
The names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of three current references who can comment on your qualifications for this position. References will be kept confidential, and candidates will be notified before references are contacted.
Answers to the following supplemental questions:
Please tell us your experience level with each of the following and give specific examples of applications, tools, and/or languages you have worked with.
1. Report development experiment (e.g., Banner, SAP, Oracle Apps, etc.)
2. Report development tools (e.g., Cognos, Crystal, Business Objects, etc.).
3. Directly query languages and tools (e.g., SQL).
1. What training could we provide that would make you successful in this position?
2. What is your preferred training: self-paced on-line courses, books, instructor-led training, other?
Please rate your experience, skills and abilities in each of the following on a scale of 1-3 (1=Average, 2=Good, 3=Expert). Please list any supporting detail necessary to explain your rating.
1. Ability to comprehend and adhere to software development process standards
2. Ability to participate in system deployments using multiple instances (such as Development, Test, Training and Production)
3. Understanding of Business Intelligence concepts and supporting technologies
4. Written, Oral and interpersonal communication skills
5. Experience working with end-users in analysis and support/training roles
6. Flexibility in learning and using new technologies
7. Level of self-motivation
8. Ability to take direction
9. Attention to details
10. Ability to work independently
11. Ability to work with a team successfully
The application materials should be packaged as a single PDF file, using the applicant's last name as the document name, and emailed to email@example.com.
Please reference Position #12538 and the applicant's last name in the subject of the email.
Incomplete or improperly submitted applications may be excluded from consideration.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.