Job Seekers, Sign In
Vice President for Development « Position Deleted on 3/19/2013 »
|Institution:||Southern Wesleyan University|
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
|Notes:||included on Affirmative Action email|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsMISSION
Southern Wesleyan University is a Christ-centered, student-focused learning community devoted to transforming lives by challenging students to be dedicated scholars and servant leaders who impact the world for Christ.
Available July 2013, this position serves as the chief fundraiser for the university and is responsible for the following:
- Development and cultivation of significant church, alumni and donor relationships and gifts
- Traveling and speaking on behalf of the university
- Expanding the base for the Promise Fund (annual fund) and overall endowment
- Establishing a solid planned giving program
- Coordinating capital project fundraising campaigns
- Supervision and development of a high-functioning development team
- Assisting the president in creating a culture of trust and prosperity
This position will be chiefly responsible for a significant shift in the success and growth of the university development office: increasing metrics; increasing giving bases; and sharing the story of Southern Wesleyan to a growing number of supporters. This position does not work in a vacuum but as a team member with the president and staff in the fundraising process.
In addition, this position will:
- Serve as the recognized donor solicitation leader for the university; all other functions are subsumed and supported by this role
- Hire, train, supervise, and support high-level team members including the executive director of development, the executive director of alumni and constituent relations, and the secretary/data analyst
- Articulate the vision and mission of the university with passion and integrity
- Direct the "Moves Management Process" to enhance donor commitment and involvement
- Prepare and oversee the office budget as well as special fundraising campaigns and endowment initiatives, creating and following best practice accounting protocols
- Attend and often preside over a wide variety of meetings and progressive planning opportunities
- Participate in cabinet meetings and meet with cabinet members and their reports individually to increase their role in development planning outcomes
- Research and respond to donor giving trends, grant opportunities, and special incentives
- Visit supporting churches and districts, speak, cultivate solid relationships, and promote SWU to pastors, youth pastors, youth groups, and constituents in the church
- Improve the SWU brand in churches and work with music and ministry teams from time to time to increase the connections with important churches and regions
- Assist in passionately promoting SWU; attend summer district conferences as requested, support the SWU booth and presentations
- Increase the donor base for SWU by an agreed upon percentage each year by cultivating both AGS and traditional students, igniting new ways to grow the AGS and traditional alumni base, and creating solid local and regional contacts and raise significant funds
- Travel to meet a significant number of alumni, organizational leaders, business professionals and friends each year to create a system of evaluation to guide the president to those donors with greater contribution potential
- Expand the success and participation of the Board of Visitors, and increase the connections and support from that Board
- Create and assign special donor events such as donor dinners, chaparrals, donor cruise tours, golf outings, alumni events, athletic fundraisers and image setting opportunities for the university
- Creatively expand the base for the Promise Fund, raising the fund goals and realizing those goals each year.
- Lead various special and specific fundraising tasks as assigned including coordination of specific aspects of special capital campaigns, running data comparisons and creating evaluative tools to determine the potential of campaign successes
- Assist the president with special projects and fundraising ideas to enhance the overall experience for prospective and current students
- Lead, direct and follow through with other appropriate projects and assignments as requested
- Must be a born again Christ-follower, committed to Christian higher education
- Master's degree required, doctorate preferred
- Significant experience in cultivating people; evidence of fundraising capability and ability to ask for gifts
- Creative, collaborative, caring professional devoted to developing people to achieve their maximum success
- SWU is committed to maximizing the use of technology in its daily operations and in achieving its strategic goals; the ideal candidate will be familiar with integrated database management systems, including (executive level) reporting, and have a high comfort level with web-based, mobile and PC applications including but not limited to the use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- A person with high integrity and drive, in agreement with the principles and tenets of the Wesleyan Church
This is an executive level, exempt, 12-month position (Level X) with salary and benefits commensurate with experience and education.
This position is open until filled; however, an initial application review process will begin February 1, 2013. Interested applicants must send a completed staff application , letter of interest, a résumé, three letters of recommendation, and a one page "Personal Philosophy of Fundraising" statement by email to the contact listed below.
Southern Wesleyan University does not discriminate in hiring and employment practices on the basis of race, national origin, sex, physical handicap, age, or veteran status of the applicant.To be considered for employment, however, applicants must complete a Questionnaire for Prospective Staff giving evidence of a Christian testimony and of a willingness to support the mission, beliefs, and lifestyle practices established by the campus community.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.