Medical Director for Pain Services
|Institution:||University of Wisconsin - Madison|
Position Vacancy Listing: PVL # 77585
Official Title: PROFESSOR (CHS)(D01NN) or ASSOC PROFESSOR (CHS)(D02NN)
Degree and area of specialization:
MD or DO (Anesthesiology, Neurology, Ortho Rehab, Psychiatry, or Radiology)
License/certification: MD or DO; eligible for Wisconsin medical license
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
Completion of residency program (Anesthesiology, Neurology, Ortho Rehab, Psychiatry, or Radiology) and American Board certified or eligible in same specialties. Certified or eligible for certification by an accredited Board of Pain Management or equivalent preferred. Candidates for Associate Professor (CHS) or full Professor (CHS) rank must meet criteria for appointment at rank per UW School of Medicine and Public Health guidelines for appointment and promotion on the CHS track. Prior pain leadership experience in an academic medical center is preferred.
The incumbent is expected to establish, grow and maintain a pain practice consistent with training, departmental needs and evaluation of local demographics. Clinical research is an option for an individual trained and interested. The incumbent is also expected to provide significant teaching in areas of pain and pain management to residents and medical students.
The Medical Director for Pain Services will direct a comprehensive, interdisciplinary and coordinated Pain Services Program for the University of Wisconsin Hospitals & Clinics, in Madison, Wisconsin. This physician will provide an interface between practicing physicians, hospital leadership, and clinical Department Chairs. The primary goals of the program will be 1) to optimize patient-centered care through the use of multi-disciplinary care teams, evidence-based approaches, and leveraged resources; and 2) to integrate the clinical, research, education and administrative efforts to best serve our patients and to raise our standing as a premier healthcare organization.
The Program encompasses pain services in both the inpatient and outpatient settings. Services within the hospital setting are provided for adults and children by interdisciplinary clinical teams with expertise in acute perioperative and non-operative pain. A multi-disciplinary Chronic Pain Management Center provides services to outpatients for chronic pain, palliative care, and alternative therapies.
The Medical Director of Pain Services will be a leader who develops consensus within a multi-disciplinary group of professionals. This person may hold a primary appointment in the departments of Anesthesiology, Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, Radiology, Neurology or Psychiatry. The incumbent may hold appointments in several departments as is appropriate for his/her academic interests and training. The director will be accountable to the University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics (UWHC) Administration and to the relevant academic Department Chairs. He/she will have broad authority to develop and carry out the pain program policies. The Director of Pain Services will work closely with UWHC personnel to provide seamless services for both adult and pediatric patients in the inpatient and outpatient settings.
CLINICAL ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES
Direct Operations of the UWHC Pain Services
- Functional supervision will be exercised with overall staff working within the pain program (physicians, nurses and other staff). This will occur in consultation with the appropriate UWHC administration and Department Chairs, and American Family Children Hospital's (AFCH) Administration for pediatric pain services.
- Responsibilities will include:
- Assign personnel and resources to accommodate service needs. This will entail balancing medical, nursing, and ancillary services across the pain programs and establishing operational procedures that optimize appointment availability.
- Establish evidence-based practice guidelines and consistency of care throughout the pain program.
- Promote quality improvement throughout pain services.
- Establish and maintain the infrastructure required to deal with questions with accreditation, licensure and other regulatory standards. Educate the clinical staff about these requirements and their impact.
- Chair the pain services leadership group, to include representatives from the relevant clinical departments and UWHC. This group will develop policies and procedures to optimize the function of the components of the pain program. These policies will contribute to improvements in the efficiency of patient care, to service delivery and to the value received by both patients and UWHC.
- Serve in a collaborative role with nursing leaders and UWHC Senior Vice President of Professional Services.
The Medical Director for Pain Services will hold, on a continuing basis, a clinical role in one or more of the clinical pain services provided through UWHC.
Long Term Administrative Responsibilities
- Participate in strategic planning for resources and facilities to meet the service needs of the pain program at UWHC.
- Provide leadership, proactive planning, and budgeting of resources and facilities in coordination with UWHC administration and administration of the relevant clinical departments.
- Collaborate in the development and management of pain program resources including day to day policies and capital equipment planning.
- Carry-out workforce planning for pain services in conjunction with department chairs and UWHC administration.
- Work with the clinical departments to plan hiring and startup salary support.
- Collaborate with UWHC staff on equipment procurement and maintenance.
- Disaster planning.
- Develop clinical staff to assure projected daily clinical and staffing responsibilities.
- Develop younger faculty to fulfill future leadership needs.
- Coordinate with residency program directors and fellowship directors to assure an appropriate learning environment. Working with the same individuals to assure that the case mix is appropriate to meet ACGME requirements for training in different areas.
- Shared oversight of pain program curricula for residents and fellows rotating through program.
- Shared oversight of medical student rotations through the pain program.
- Support clinical research program development in pain.
- The Medical Director of UWHC Pain Service will report directly to the UWHC Senior Vice President of Medical Affairs (Dr. Christopher Green), who will serve as the Chair of the UWHC Pain Administrative Committee to also include UWHC Senior Vice President of Professional Services (Beth Houlahan) and UWHC Vice President for the American Family Children's Hospital (Jeff Poltawsky).
- The Medical Director of Pain Services will also work in collaboration with the chairs of the relevant departments of Anesthesiology, Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, Neurology, Psychiatry, Radiology and Pediatrics.
- The Director of Pain Services will establish and maintain a direct relationship with physicians and other critical stakeholders and will facilitate communication regarding pain services.
- This reporting ratio will be facilitated through the development of collaborative working groups among the health care leaders at UWHC. The pain services leadership group will meet routinely and will include the Associate Medical Directors representing each arm of the pain service, nursing leadership and pain services, relevant clinical departments and the pain program fellowship director.
A period of evaluation will be required
Employee Class: Academic Staff
Full Time Salary Rate: Minimum $59,855 ANNUAL (12 months) Plus UW Medical Foundation
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Appointment percent: 100%
Anticipated begin date: JANUARY 01, 2014
Number of Positions: 1
To Ensure Consideration:
Application must be received by: NOVEMBER 10, 2013
How To Apply:
Unless another application procedure has been specified above, please send resume and cover letter referring to Position Vacancy Listing #77585 to:
600 Highland Ave
B6/319 Clinical Science Center
Madison, WI 53792-3272
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
|Postal Address:||Fern Reilly
University of Wisconsin - Madison
600 Highland Ave
B6/319 Clinical Science Center
Madison, WI 53792-3272
|Online App. Form:||http://www.ohr.wisc.edu/WebListing/Unclassified/PVLSummary.aspx?pvl_num=775 85|