Job Seekers, Sign In
Professor/Associate Professor(Chairperson), AD-0602-00 (PMR) « Position Deleted on 11/03/2012 »
|Institution:||Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences|
|Salary:||$102,223 to $400,000 USD Per Year|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsThe mission of the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS) is to provide the highest quality education and research programs in the health sciences to those selected individuals who demonstrate dedication to a career in the health professions of the uniformed services. The USUHS is authorized to grant appropriate advanced academic degrees and to establish postdoctoral, postgraduate, and technological institutes related to treatment and research in the health sciences. USUHS develops and supports academic and training programs designed to ensure maximum utilization of the health science labor force, facilities, and equipment within the Department of Defense and military medical departments worldwide.
The USUHS is seeking a Professor or Associate Professor who will also serve as founding Chairperson for the new Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PMR) in the School of Medicine (SOM). The incumbent is responsible for scholarship and education within the SOM, and reports to the Dean, SOM. The Department is expected to conduct basic, clinical scientific and educational research, and participate in the professional exchange of findings through publications and presentations in appropriate forums. As Chair the incumbent is responsible for design, evaluation and management of relevant syllabus and curriculum within the specialty of PMR, and for collaborative work with SOM leadership in creating a fully integrated curriculum. With respect to direct care of patients the incumbent's clinical activities are overseen by the hospital chief of service and the Commanding Officer of the teaching hospital.
This appointment shall be as a Professor or Associate Professor and as the Chairperson of PMR. The appointment as Professor or Associate Professor shall be tenured or in the tenure track and the assignment as the Chairperson shall be non-tenured. The assignment as Chairperson shall be for a period of five (5) years, with eligibility for renewal and no limit on the number of renewals. Assignment as Chairperson is not a continuous appointment and as such the incumbent serves at the pleasure of the Dean, SOM, and may be relieved of the administrative role of Chairperson at any time.
Duties: The incumbent is responsible for overseeing the teaching of medical students in the classroom, small groups, and appropriate field settings; and in supporting and coordinating clinical teaching in his/her discipline throughout the four years of the medical school curriculum, for participating in residency programs at affiliated military medical teaching centers, and for providing continuing education courses in University sponsored programs. As Chairperson, the incumbent is responsible for program administration, including financial management and evaluations of faculty, staff, and students to ensure program quality. The Chairperson is also responsible for the conduct of basic and clinical scientific research, research in education and the professional exchange of finding by publications and presentations in appropriate forums. The incumbent will provide direct patient care in his/her specialty within the Military Health System.
- The incumbent must hold a minimum of the M.D. or D.O. degree, and a current state medical licensure, and be board certified in a discipline directly related to the mission of the Department,(PMR), Sports Medicine, Orthopedics, or Neurology. The successful candidate will also have substantial experience in medical and graduate education, educational leadership, research, and administration.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of executive management in academic organizations. Knowledge of military medical organizations and experience with military medical educational programs, health care delivery systems, and accreditation standards are also required.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, as well as outstanding written and oral communication skills, are essential.
- Academic accomplishment, as reflected by a significant number of scientific publications in appropriate critically reviewed journals, is required.
- The successful candidate must be academically qualified for faculty appointment at the Professor or Associate Professor level in accordance with the USUHS academic policies.
- U.S. citizenship is required.
- Selectee must be suitable for Federal employment as determined by a background investigation.
- Failure to meet the requirements of a background investigation will result in the withdrawal of the position offer or removal from the position.
- Pre-employment and random drug testing is a requirement of this position.
- Failure to pass the drug test will result in the withdrawal of the position offer or removal from the position.
The Uniformed Services University does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors. USUHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to racial, cultural, and ethnic diversity.