Job Seekers, Sign In
FT Staff: Security Officer (PR04302013DW) « Position Deleted on 1/05/2014 »
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsDEPARTMENT: Campus Police and Security
Do NOT use the "Apply for this position through My HigherEdJobs.com" feature to apply.
To be considered for employment, a candidate who meets job opening qualifications must complete the following steps for EACH job opening to which the qualified candidate applies.
Submit ALL the following documents in ONE package directly to the Human Resources Department, by ONLY ONE of the following methods: mailed hard copy (recommended for the best presentation of your credentials), or by fax to (919) 546-8484.
- A fully completed Shaw University Application Form (see link below for write-in Application).
- A current resume or curriculum vitae.
A resume or curriculum vitae without an accompanying Shaw University Application Form, and other required documents, cannot be accepted.
Any potential hire is contingent upon the FINALIST candidate's ordering OFFICIAL transcript(s) of the highest degree received (as required by the job posting qualifications) to be MAILED DIRECTLY FROM the institution(s) DIRECTLY to: Human Resources Department, Shaw University, 118 E. South Street, Raleigh, NC 27601. Hand-delivered sealed transcripts will not be considered as official - they must be received directly from the awarding institution(s).
Candidates are personally responsible for any potential travel and/or relocation expenses incurred.
Security Officers maintain security and safety of people and property in assigned area on the University's campus by patrolling areas on foot, providing campus escorts and emergency transportation, directing traffic, securing buildings and gates, enforcing university rules and regulations. Security Officers may be required to resolve minor conflicts and prevent crimes, prepare reports, and serve as effective professional role models to the University's students.
Security Officers are distinguished from campus Police Officers in that incumbents do not carry firearms, write citations or arrest violators, and N.C. law enforcement certification is not required. Security Officers are expected to report highly unusual or suspicious criminal activity to sworn campus police officers for follow-up.
- Prior customer
service related work experience.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid driver's license with good driving
- Knowledge of protocols in campus security.
- Demonstrated personal history of exercising sound judgment, appropriate
initiative and strict confidentiality of workplace situations and events.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate professionally with
students, university employees and the general public, including from varied cultural backgrounds and with disabilities.
- Ability to
effectively patrol campus premises on foot ensuring security and safety of people and property, and to quickly and calmly analyze emergency
situations and objectively determine the proper course of action.
- Observe and accurately remember names, faces and details of
- Compose detailed and accurate reports.
- Flexibility and willingness to work 12-hour shifts with a rotating weekend
schedule, periodically filling in and working extended shifts.
- Ability to maintain detailed and accurate files and records in hard
copy and data methods
- Reliability, regular attendance at work.
- Prior work experience as a
- Prior work experience on a college campus.
- Effectively maintains order
and provides protection for persons and property on campus, following established departmental procedures.
- Provides an alert presence
and a vigilant patrol of the campus buildings and grounds by the designated mode (foot or vehicle) to prevent and detect suspicious activity
and potentially unsafe situations or conditions; gives special attention to areas of high crime incidents and high safety
- Recognizes dangerous situations and take proper corrective action; reports all suspicious activity, equipment malfunction, and
other irregularities to the Platoon Leader.
- Diligently provides campus escorts for personal safety and security, medical transports,
motorist assists, money escorts.
- Rapidly responds to alarms for intrusion, fire and other related security needs.
emergency and non-emergency assistance to emergency medical personnel and local law enforcement agencies on campus.
- Provides security
for special events, social and sports events.
- Effectively directs and controls traffic and the parking of vehicles.
directions and general information to guest and visitors.
- Secures and unlocks gates, buildings and other areas, as scheduled or as
- Applies common sense discretion to achieve the appropriate outcome.
- Effectively resolves minor
- Appropriately applies knowledge of University policies and departmental procedures to arrive a valid course of
- Creates timely, accurate, and complete incident reports.
- Effectively assists with the development and improvement of
mechanisms to enhance relationships with diverse constituents; establishes rapport with persons with varied cultural backgrounds and with
- Maintains a high-level "fitness for duty," including physical fitness, maintenance of issued equipment and uniforms,
and proficiency in the use of specialized police equipment: (weighted performance rating 5%)
- Ensures effective upward communication
and support to supervisor and chain of management
- Effectively interacts and collaborates with other team members, including
departmental co-workers and team members from other departments across the University: (weighted performance rating 10%)
strict confidentiality in all matters pertaining to personnel, student privacy, and operational management matters, on a job related
- Plans and controls "out-of-work" time off and take applicable meal breaks at a regular and reliable time to ensure departmental coverage is maintained and other team members are not inconvenienced or overburdened.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Dental insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid holidays
- Must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
- Subject to a background check, and drug screen.
Do NOT use the "Apply for this position through My HigherEdJobs.com" feature to apply. Follow the APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS at the top of this job posting.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer