Job Seekers, Sign In
FT Staff: Tutor - Writing Center (PR05102013NW) « Position Deleted on 8/07/2013 »
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsDEPARTMENT: Academic Affairs - Writing Center
Do NOT use the "Apply for this position through My HigherEdJobs.com" feature to apply.
To be considered for employment, a candidate who meets job opening qualifications must complete the following steps for EACH job opening to which the qualified candidate applies.
Submit ALL the following documents in ONE package directly to the Human Resources Department, by ONLY ONE of the following methods: mailed hard copy (recommended for the best presentation of your credentials), or by fax to (919) 546-8484.
- A fully completed Shaw University Application Form (see link below for write-in Application).
- A current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Unofficial transcript of the highest degree received
A resume or curriculum vitae without an accompanying Shaw University Application Form, and other required documents, cannot be accepted.
Any potential hire is contingent upon the FINALIST candidate's ordering OFFICIAL transcript(s) of the highest degree received (as required by the job posting qualifications) to be MAILED DIRECTLY FROM the institution(s) DIRECTLY to: Human Resources Department, Shaw University, 118 E. South Street, Raleigh, NC 27601. Hand-delivered sealed transcripts will not be considered as official - they must be received directly from the awarding institution(s).
Candidates are personally responsible for any potential travel and/or relocation expenses incurred.
The Writing Center Tutor position assists students in developing their written communication skills. The tutor will diagnose student writing deficiencies, address deficiencies pointed out by the student's instructor, and assist students in developing their out of class essay assignments. The tutor will track the progress of the students he or she works with and the nature of the work done with each student.
Bachelor's degree in English or related field
- Knowledge or and
experience in all aspects of the teaching of writing.
- Highly proficient computer skills utilizing MS Word, Excel and Power
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate through the development and composition of complex analysis reports and professional correspondence and formal presentations.
- Effectively instruct college-level
students in the development of enhanced writing competencies.
- Work with students from diverse cultural backgrounds and various levels
of academic preparation.
- Establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with other employees and outside
- Maintain detailed and accurate files and records.
- Maintain strict confidentiality in all matters pertaining to
- Work efficiently and accurately, while projecting a customer-oriented image, in an atmosphere of frequent
- Organize tasks and time to ensure timely completion of all projects and responsibilities.
- Plan own work after
objective is set by the supervisor.
- Adapt to and support a changing work environment.
- Compose effective and professional
- Direct personal actions and conduct to support the success of the departmental and organizational goals, processes
and managerial directives.
- Use good judgment in recognizing the scope of authority.
- Consistently demonstrate responsibility, accountability, and dependability.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with qualifications and experience, contingent upon grant funding.
- Must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United
- Subject to a background check, drug screen.
Do NOT use the "Apply for this position through My HigherEdJobs.com" feature to apply. Follow the APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS at the top of this job posting.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer