Job Seekers, Sign In
FT Staff: Security Officer (PR010413SS) « Position Deleted on 12/19/2013 »
|Posted:||07/09/2013 (Reposted Job: Initially posted on 02/05/2013)|
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsDEPARTMENT: Campus Police and Security
Do NOT use the "Apply for this position through My HigherEdJobs.com" feature to apply.
To be considered for employment, a candidate who meets job opening qualifications must complete the following steps for EACH job opening to which the qualified candidate applies.
Submit ALL the following documents in ONE package directly to the Human Resources Department, by ONLY ONE of the following methods: mailed hard copy (recommended for the best presentation of your credentials), or by fax to (919) 546-8484.
A fully completed Shaw University Application Form (see link below for write-in Application).
A current resume or curriculum vitae.
A resume or curriculum vitae without an accompanying Shaw University Application Form, and other required documents, cannot be accepted.
Any potential hire is contingent upon the FINALIST candidate's ordering OFFICIAL transcript(s) of the highest degree received (as required by the job posting qualifications) to be MAILED DIRECTLY FROM the institution(s) DIRECTLY to: Human Resources Department, Shaw University, 118 E. South Street, Raleigh, NC 27601. Hand-delivered sealed transcripts will not be considered as official - they must be received directly from the awarding institution(s).
Candidates are personally responsible for any potential travel and/or relocation expenses incurred.
Under the direction of the assigned Platoon Leader, Security Officers maintain security and safety of people and property in assigned area on the University's campus by patrolling areas on foot, providing campus escorts and emergency transportation, directing traffic, securing buildings and gates, enforcing university rules and regulations. Security Officers may be required to resolve minor conflicts and prevent crimes, prepare reports, and serve as effective professional role models to the University's students.
Security Officers are distinguished from campus Police Officers in that incumbents do not carry firearms, write citations or arrest violators, and N.C. law enforcement certification is not required. Security Officers are expected to report highly unusual or suspicious criminal activity to sworn police officers for follow-up.
- A high school diploma or GED.
- Prior work experience involving customer service with the general public.
- OR equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Prior work experience as a security officer on a college campus.
- Effectively maintains order and provides protection for persons and property on campus, following established departmental procedures.
- Effectively resolves minor conflicts.
- Effectively composes comprehensive written records of incidents/complaints describing detailed information and action taken.
- Maintains a high-level "fitness for duty," including physical fitness, maintenance of issued equipment and uniforms, and proficiency in the use of specialized police equipment.
- Ensures supervisor is kept-up-to-date on all work-related issues, problems and/or needs of the platoon/department on a timely basis. Promptly advises of any unusual situations or work-related irregularities.
- Maintains strict confidentiality in all matters pertaining to personnel, student privacy, and operational management matters, on a job related need-to-know basis.
- Effectively patrol campus premises on foot ensuring security and safety of people and property.
- Work effectively with a diverse population and in the proactive identification of problems and the development and implementation of appropriate solutions.
- Quickly and calmly analyze emergency situations and objectively determine the proper course of action.
- Cope with situations firmly, courteously, tactfully and with respect for the rights of others.
- Willingness and flexibility to work 12-hour work shifts and other off-schedule special events.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Life Insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid annual leave
- Paid holidays
Must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Subject to a background check and drug screen.
The preceding job description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. It does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise.
Do NOT use the "Apply for this position through My HigherEdJobs.com" feature to apply. Follow the APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS at the top of this job posting.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer