Job Seekers, Sign In
FT Staff: Accounting Manager (PR10312013TS) « Position Deleted on 1/21/2014 »
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsDEPARTMENT: Fiscal Affairs
Do NOT use the "Apply for this position through My HigherEdJobs.com" feature to apply.
To be considered for employment, a candidate who meets job opening qualifications must complete the following steps for EACH job opening to which the qualified candidate applies.
Submit ALL the following documents in ONE package directly to the Human Resources Department, by ONLY ONE of the following methods: mailed hard copy (recommended for the best presentation of your credentials), or by fax to (919) 546-8484.
- A fully completed Shaw University Application Form (see link below for write-in Application).
- A current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Unofficial transcript of the highest degree received
Any potential hire is contingent upon the FINALIST candidate's ordering OFFICIAL transcript(s) of the highest degree received (as required by the job posting qualifications) to be MAILED DIRECTLY FROM the institution(s) DIRECTLY to: Human Resources Department, Shaw University, 118 E. South Street, Raleigh, NC 27601. Hand-delivered sealed transcripts will not be considered as official - they must be received directly from the awarding institution(s).
Candidates are personally responsible for any potential travel and/or relocation expenses incurred.
The position is accountable for the effective supervision the accounting and accounts payable staff, for ensuring compliance with internal controls, and the timely and accurate recording of accounting transactions and financial reports.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting
- 5 years of work experience in accounting or financial auditing
- Customer-focused aptitude.
- Demonstrated analytical and communication skills - both written and oral
- Computer skill proficiency utilizing MS Excel and Word.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse population of faculty, staff and students.
- Ability to effectively multi-task and produce accurate professional work products under timelines.
- Flexibility and willingness to periodically work extended workdays and occasional weekends as needed to meet desired objectives.
- Supervisory experience
- Master's degree and/or CPA designation
Effectively supervises and positively motivates subordinate staff for peak performance, ensuring a professional level of customer service.
Performs routine reviews of the following:
- Journal entries of accounting staff
- Reconciliation of AP sub-ledger to the general ledger on a monthly basis.
- Monthly accruals and aging of AP sub-ledger.
- Vendor statements for overdue items
- AP edits prior to posting and cutting of checks, ensuring coding and accuracy of check information and adequacy of supporting documentation.
- Ensures the proper filing and maintenance of AP supporting documentation (invoices, checks, statements, purchase orders, requisitions, and contracts).
- Accounts for check sequences regularly.
- Ensures AP and AR (refund checks) are paid on a timely basis.
Identifies compliance issues.
Provides regular and timely updates to the Vice President for Fiscal Affairs and the Controller on all accounting and accounts payable issues and ensures their timely awareness of any potential issues that may impact day-to-day decisions.
Assists in the following:
- Coordination of all accounting functions.
- Implementation of internal controls
- Month-end closing and annual audits
- Preparation of weekly cash flow
- Other activities as assigned.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid annual leave
- Paid holidays
- Must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
- Subject to a background check, drug screen.
Do NOT use the "Apply for this position through My HigherEdJobs.com" feature to apply. Follow the APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS at the top of this job posting.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer