Job Seekers, Sign In
Environmental Sustainability, Undergraduate School - Adjunct Faculty « Position Deleted on 8/21/2013 »
|Institution:||University of Maryland University College|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsAdjunct Faculty
Location - Local Hybrid Locations:
Largo, College Park, Ft Belvoir, Ft Meade, Bowling AFB, Andrews AFB, Aberdeen, Waldorf, Dorsey Station, Arundel Mills, Anne Arundel College Southern MD, Hagerstown, Hartford, Laurel, NSA, Patuxent River, Bethesda
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks an adjunct faculty to teach Environmental Sustainability. UMUC is one of 11 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM). Working adults, military personnel, and other students around the globe are achieving their academic goals through UMUC's innovative educational options, including online instruction, accelerated academic programs, and classroom-based courses taught during the daytime, evenings, and weekends. Currently, more than 34,000 students attend UMUC nationally, and an additional 35,000 students attend UMUC at on site classes in more than 23 countries throughout the world; about 50,000 students are active duty military, veterans, and their families. In 2009, UMUC had over 196,000 online course enrollments.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Demonstrate an ability to utilize online instructional technology tools when engaging students throughout the course learning environments
- Develop, plan, implement, and guide assignments, online or in-class discussions, and learning activities for assigned courses
- Demonstrate an ability to effectively convey course concepts in written and oral communications
- Demonstrate adaptability to facilitate courses with adult learners from diverse backgrounds
Environmental Change and Sustainability (NSCI 362):
A multidisciplinary study of the global environment and human impact on it. The goal is to apply scientific reasoning to make informed decisions about the role of human activity on global environmental sustainability. Emphasis is on the concept of sustainability as it applies to human interactions with the environment. Current scientific research is used to explore the scientific, social, and global implications of environmental issues such as global warming, population growth, energy resources, biodiversity, and the genetic modification of organisms. Discussion covers the environment as global commons and individual responsibility in environmental sustainability.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree is required, Natural Sciences or Biology preferred
- Professional experience with ecology, environmental science, and/or environmental sustainability
- Higher Education teaching experience preferred
- A terminal degree (i.e. PhD, etc.) is preferred from a regionally accredited institution.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. For detailed benefits information, please visit http://www.umuc.edu/visitors/careers/benefits.cfm
Adjunct faculty candidates will be required to provide official transcripts as required during the candidate selection process and will require online training with UMUC technology tools.
UMUC -an Equal Opportunity Employer. The University distributes an annual information report which includes campus security information that is available to prospective employees.
University of Maryland University College actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, religion, color, creed, gender, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, mental or physical disability, veterans status or sexual orientation.