Job Seekers, Sign In
Director of Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion « Position Deleted on 8/08/2012 »
|Institution:||University of Colorado Denver|
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsPosition Description: The University of Colorado Denver is seeking applications for the position of Director of the School of Education & Human Development's Office of Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion. CU Denver is the premier research university in Colorado, serving more than 30,000 undergraduate, graduate and health professions students in Denver, Aurora and online and awarding nearly 4,000 degrees each year. The renowned researchers and award-winning faculty of CU Denver offer more than 100 degree programs through 13 colleges and schools. The Downtown Campus is located in one of America's most vibrant urban centers, just steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts, the LoDo District and the state capitol. On both campuses, students, staff and faculty have access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural opportunities.
Nature of Work:
The major activities of this new office will be recruitment and retention of student populations historically under-represented and under-served in higher education. This position will establish the SEHD Office of Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion. This position is responsible for the development of strategies and processes that contribute to the mission of the University, campus, and SEHD.
Additional Posting Description: Duties & Responsibilities
Create infrastructure to recruit and support students from historically under-represented and marginalized groups, as well as international and differently-abled students, to strategically increase the diversity of SEHD's student body including numbers of first-generation, low income under-represented students.
Work closely with Academic Services Director to establish a relationship and regularly meet with relevant campus offices including: Educational Opportunity Programs office, international admissions, academic services, student organizations, SEHD and UCD Diversity Committees, Office of Diversity and Inclusion, and other Auraria, Denver metro and state-wide campus offices focused on issues of diversity to recruit, retain and support diverse and international students.
Promote and support existing SEHD and UCD programs aimed at recruiting diverse students into the SEHD (e.g., Pathways2Teaching, Urban Community Teacher Education partner schools).
Meet and strategize with the SEHD marketing team to develop targeted marketing strategy to increase student diversity.
Organize and represent SEHD at on-campus, off-campus, and virtual events.
Perform ongoing assessment using qualitative and quantitative methods to document the experiences of SEHD students from under-represented and marginalized groups and international students for the purpose of improving the climate and retention.
Contribute to the SEHD's ongoing professional training and development for faculty and staff so that the needs of our diverse students are met.
Support the work of the Diversity Committee and the Dean to create an environment of inclusion where all individuals feel supported and valued.
Support the Dean's development activities related to scholarship fund raising for under-represented students.
Support the leadership in building a community of students, faculty and staff that is representative of diverse groups and reflects the diversity of global business.
FACULTY & STAFF:
Support the work of faculty on projects related to recruitment and retention.
Meet and strategize with the SEHD marketing team to support targeted marketing strategies to increase and maintain faculty and staff diversity.
Serve as a resource on diverse populations and admissions for faculty and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Requires attention to detail.
- Ability to work under and meet tight deadlines is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and contribute as member of team, develop relationships with wide variety of internal and external constituencies, provide high-level of customer service, handle confidential information, balance need to be both detail-oriented and strategic, and work in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to travel to events and work evenings and weekends as required.
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Experience working at or in collaboration with institutions of higher education
- Record of developing successful diversity recruitment and retention strategies
- Strong communication both verbal and written, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Experience presenting to a variety of audiences
- Master's or Doctoral degree in related field
- Prior admissions experience
- Experience in leadership roles
- Fluency in a language other than English, Spanish is highly desired
Applications are accepted electronically at https://www.jobsatcu.com/ job posting #818102
Review of applications will begin on July 5, 2012 and continue until a finalist is identified.
Required Application Materials
When applying at https://www.jobsatcu.com/, applicants must include:
1. A cover letter which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
2. A current CV/resume
3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references
Questions should be directed to Sara.Honda@ucdenver.edu.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees prior to their employment.
The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment
The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.