Job Seekers, Sign In
Director of Financial Aid - School for International Training (SIT) « Position Deleted on 7/28/2009 »
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsDirector of Financial Aid - School for International Training (SIT)
World Learning is an equal opportunity employer.
Location: Brattleboro, VT
General Description: The Director of Financial Aid will lead the delivery of financial aid at SIT to set financial aid policies and budgets in accordance with the School's fiscal and educational goals. The Director of Financial Aid reports to the Director of Enrollment Services and is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the Office of Financial Aid operations and staff. The Director of Financial Aid is also responsible for planning, developing and administering federal and institutional financial aid programs in accordance with federal laws and regulations. He/she develops, administers and interprets financial aid policies and procedures in compliance with established federal and institutional guidelines and strategies to support the enrollment goals of SIT Study Abroad and Graduate and Professional Studies. The Director of Financial Aid is responsible for the development of financial aid packaging strategies, fiscal reporting, and improving the use of technology affecting operational efficiencies. The Director collaborates with many internal and external constituents, and must provide outstanding service to students and parents.
* Ensure that awarding of student financial aid is leveraged to diversify the student body in all of SIT's academic programs.
* Counsel students and parents regarding student financial aid programs; application processes; eligibility requirements; student loan fees; interest rates; repayment, deferments; locating other sources of aid.
* Counsel students and parents in the process of understanding and accepting responsibility for the financial aspects of their choice of a college.
* Write and / or edit various financial aid information/application materials; description of types of aid; how to apply for aid; application tracking, award or not eligible letters; condition of awards, etc.
* Prepare annual student expense budgets, cost of attendance.
* Establish financial aid packaging parameters that are in accordance with applicable government regulations and institutional goals and policies.
* Develop and review financial aid policies and procedures with other staff involved in the administration of student financial aid. Write, edit, update and coordinate the production of financial aid policies and procedures.
* Provide direction, supervision and training for staff (a Financial Aid Counselor) supporting financial aid processing and services.
* The Director will also oversee the data systems maintenance and long-range plans and implementation of system tools to improve service.
* Review all applications for need-based financial aid and make award decisions in accordance with government regulations (ensure that all student eligibility, need analysis, verification and file documentation requirements have been met and institutional policy has been followed.
* Review the financial documentation of all international students in accordance with policies developed in consultation with the Director of Enrollment Services to ensure the demonstration of adequate resources to pursue their education at SIT. Oversee the preparation of requests for each student's I-20 and forward to the Director of Student and Scholar Services.
* Serve as the institution's Designated School Officer through the Department of Homeland Security in the administration of student immigration records in the SEVIS database.
* Determine the process for handling an applicant's appeal of a financial aid decision, participate in the process as required, and ensure closure.
* Oversee and assist with the processing of Stafford and PLUS loan applications to ensure accuracy. Certify all applications.
* Plan and conduct entrance and exit counseling sessions for all Stafford/PLUS student loan borrowers in accordance with government regulations. Write and /or select any supporting printed materials for students.
* Ensure proper documentation of student files.
* Keep current on government regulations related to student financial aid. Monitor functions and services in the Financial Aid office to ensure compliance. As required, bring regulatory issues to the attention of other staff responsible for the administration of student financial aid and/or maintaining institutional eligibility for student aid programs. Assist with the interpretation of regulations as special circumstances require.
* Prepare the annual Fiscal Operations Report and Application to Participate (FISAP) in conjunction with the Accounts Receivable Manager and Controller.
* Maintain the Title IV Program Participation Agreement.
* Prepare reports of financial aid expenditures, statistical analyses related to financial aid, etc. for institutional purposes as required.
* Oversee annual audit of student financial aid files. Provide auditors with written financial aid policies and procedures, or other data as requested.
* Respond to questions and requests for clarification regarding policies, procedures, file documentation, etc.
* Attend professional meetings and conferences.
* Prior experience in a financial aid office in higher education required
* Bachelor's degree
* Excellent counseling skills
* Strong mathematical, computer and writing skills
* Knowledge of financial aid policies and issues
To apply: Please visit our website www.worldlearning.org and click on the "Job Search" option under the "Employment" tab to submit a resume and cover letter directly to this position. If you do not see the job you are interested in please "search all." Please note, a resume and cover letter are required for consideration.
It is the policy of World Learning to provide equal employment opportunities for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or handicap, veteran's status, ancestry, or place of birth. World Learning's policies and practices are designed to carry out the organization's commitment to a viable Affirmative Action Program.