Job Seekers, Sign In
Senior Media Relations Officer « Position Deleted on 5/13/2011 »
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsSenior Media Relations Officer
Office of Public Affairs
Dartmouth College, a leader in higher education and part of the Ivy League, is seeking an enthusiastic and enterprising person to support the strategic communications goals of the College by developing and executing strategies for promoting the work of Dartmouth's faculty and its educational model through traditional and new media outlets. The key accountabilities of this multi-dimensional position reside in the promotion of faculty scholarship and Dartmouth's academic reputation as well as issues management.
Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Identifies and places news and feature stories that advance the work of Dartmouth's faculty to news outlets, in close collaboration with the Dean of Faculty and colleagues in Dartmouth Public Affairs.
* Finds opportunities for Dartmouth faculty to serve as experts and spokespeople on current events, issues, and topics of interest to the institution's key constituencies as well as the general public.
* Develops and executes strategy for media outreach that push forward overarching communication themes of specific areas of excellence for Dartmouth College. These themes will be identified by senior leadership working together with Public Affairs.
* Cultivates relationships with news organizations and other media outlets to facilitate faculty and feature placements.
* Produces storytelling materials, including multimedia packages, news releases, blog posts, and talking points for Dartmouth representatives and senior administrators.
* Takes initiative to use new technologies, including social media, and student interns to expand media relations efforts.
* Serves as Public Affairs Office representative/College spokesperson on-call on a rotating schedule.
* As needed, handles confidential, sensitive information, exercises excellent professional judgment and discretion, and interacts appropriately with Dartmouth constituencies including senior officers.
The right person will bring to Dartmouth College the following:
* Skill in performing public affairs assignments that advances the goals of an academic institution.
* Ability to contribute to achievement of the College's strategic communications goals.
* Ability to recognize and capitalize on the news value of Dartmouth events, activities and achievements.
* Ability to help coordinate responses to institutional issues in ways that advance the College.
* Skill in human relations; ability to work productively with constituencies including Dartmouth faculty, students, administrators, alumni, news people and the public.
* Familiarity with print and broadcast media, and with online outlets; ability to select media vehicles appropriate to the message to be communicated.
* Ability to work effectively and accurately under tight deadlines and to help resolve potential conflicts.
* Commitment to fostering respectful communication and collaboration within a diverse community.
* Five years experience in media, and/or an academic public relations role or a related field.
* Bachelor's degree in journalism or communications or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Dartmouth invites applications from individuals seeking professional growth and challenge as part of a fast-paced, innovative team. We offer competitive compensation along with the opportunity to live in a region rich with the cultural sophistication of an Ivy League community that offers a number of recreational activities on a year round basis.
For additional details on this position and to apply, visit us at http://jobs.dartmouth.edu and submit a cover letter, resume, and sample of your communications and marketing materials. Please refer to position #0012901.
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. Women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Dartmouth College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.