Staff Assistant/Sustainability Coordinator (APA Position) « Position Deleted on 8/23/2011 »
|Institution:||Worcester State University|
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
Worcester State University is a public institution of higher learning set on 58 acres in the residential west side of Worcester, Massachusetts. We are dedicated to preparing students for personal success, rewarding careers, and effective citizenship in the 21st century. We offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the traditional liberal arts and sciences, teacher education, biomedical sciences, business, and the health professions.Job Description:
1. Responsible for the development and implementation of campus wide programs relating to sustainable efforts including all state mandated Executive Orders, federal programs, the American College and University President's Climate Commitment or other associations that the University may be affiliated with. Develop cost estimates for programs. Monitor budgets and expenses for programs.
2. Encourage, develop and facilitate sustainability programs initiated by student, faculty and staff community members. Foster and coordinate new ideas and concepts for sustainability programming and identify materials and resources to supplement or expand existing program. Develop cost estimates for programs. Monitor budgets and expenses for programs.
3. Organize training seminars, workshops, and conferences as required in response to other evolving needs and opportunities
4. Work with consultants, contractors or Facilities Staff to collect data on energy use and other performance indicators for the campus. This would include such things as the compilation of performance data on specific buildings and presenting it in the prescribed format for dissemination to Facility Managers or Directors.
5. Assist the
Associate Director in defining goals, performance metrics and a long- range plan for sustainability at Worcester State University. Monitor
and evaluate program
effectiveness, document performance trends, and recommend and implement modifications to improve program effectiveness.
6. Engage the campus in developing a campus wide Environmental Management System (EMS). The EMS will contain strategies and plans to: reduce electrical energy loads and greenhouse gas emissions; promote alternative transportation use; reduce water consumption and promote water reuse; reduce toxics; develop natural resource conservation programs and; support interdepartmental programs that meet these goals. This may include directly monitoring building utility loads and creating programs to educate building occupants about energy conservation best practices and monitor progress.
7. Assist the Associate Director with all facets of regulatory compliance involving hazardous waste including collection, labeling, inspections, record management and reporting submittals.
8. Develop and maintain knowledge on all applicable state and federal compliance requirements that are applicable to the University. Assist in preparing and implement any programs and documents needed to insure environmental and safety compliance.
9. Assists in developing manuals and recommends policies and procedures for the safe use of chemical substances, hazardous waste management, Right-to-Know Law implementation, and general campus safety in compliance with State and Federal Regulations and Worcester State University's Chemical Hygiene Plan.
10. Perform various audits and inspections, document results, and communicate deficiencies to the Associate Director in accordance with
site specific regulatory plans or programs.
11. Performs additional duties as assigned by the Associate Director.
1. Bachelor's degree or significant progress towards a degree in environmental science or related field or significant related training and work experience.
2. Experience related to the practical application of policy, scientific and
engineering practices and principles pertaining to environmental sustainability.
3. Leadership skills and the ability to encourage, facilitate and develop consensus among a diverse constituency.
4. Effective human relations and facilitation skills.
5. Effective oral and written communication skills.
6. The ability to effectively plan and coordinate multi-task requirements and meet self and imposed objectives and deadlines.
7. Ability to work effectively in a service oriented environment subject to changing priorities.
8. Highly proficient in the use of personal computers in a Windows environment.Additional Information:
Official Title: Staff Assistant, Sustainability Coordinator
Supervision Received: Associate Director, Facilities
Supervision exercised: None
Union Affiliation: APAApplication Instructions:
All applicants shall apply online through Interview Exchange. Necessary documents for inclusion are a cover letter, resume, transcript of highest degree (non-student-issue), and 3 signed reference letters dated within six months of the posting. Documents which are not uploaded by the candidate can be sent to Human Resources via one or more of the following mediums: email to email@example.com; fax to 508.929.8163; or send in the post to Director of Human Resources, Worcester State University, 486 Chandler Street, Worcester, MA 01602-2597