Job Seekers, Sign In
Compliance Officer/Ombudsman « Position Deleted on 3/07/2012 »
|Location:||Kansas City, MO|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsCOMPANY OVERVIEW:
Grantham University is proud of its 60-year history and continuous commitment of service to the Armed Forces of the United States of America, Veterans, Active Guard, and their families, as well as public agency staff and students from around the world. Grantham University is 100% online with administrative offices located in Kansas City, Missouri. The University offers 38 associate, baccalaureate and master degree programs which position its graduates for success in their chosen career paths.
The Compliance Officer/Ombudsman is responsible for supporting Grantham University's overall organizational operations by ensuring consistent compliance with all federal, state and accreditation statutes, rules, regulations and standards, as well as internal policies and procedures.
The incumbent will also serve as the designated dispute resolution officer (ombudsman) to provide assistance in resolving student grievances. The incumbent is not an advocate for either the student or the University, but serves as an advocate for fairness. This office supplements, but does not replace, existing resources of the University established for conflict resolution. This position is located in Kansas City, MO.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitor, audit, edit, create and review internal policies and procedures.
- Research federal, state and local statutes, rules, regulations and ordinances pertaining to various legal issues affecting the operations of a postsecondary educational institution.
- Assist in preparation of and filing applications and reports to federal, state and accreditation agencies.
- Provide training to management and staff related to various governmental and accreditation requirements.
- Serve as neutral party to resolve student grievances.
- Serve on various University committees representing the compliance department.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor's degree from a postsecondary institution accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (or foreign equivalent) is required; a juris doctor degree is highly preferred.
- Two or more years of experience in higher education administration is a plus.
- Occasional overnight travel by car or airplane is required (less than 10%).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; extreme accuracy and attention to detail; proofreading; highly organized; ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure; ability to work both independently and as an integral member of a team; computer literate.
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret federal and state statutes, rules and regulations, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from students, regulatory agencies, management and staff, and members of the business community. Ability to effectively communicate using written and/or oral skills. Ability to effectively present information to executive management, faculty, staff, students, and/or Board of Governors and regulatory agencies.
- Mathematical Skill: Ability to apply concepts such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
◊ Occasionally required to walk, stand, and reach with hands and arms.
◊ Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
◊ Specific vision abilities include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Integrity - operates within the highest ethical standards and integrity in all aspects of the position
- Motivated/Results Oriented - established record of personal drive and the determination to succeed
- Mission Oriented - passionate about helping others; ownership spirit with a disciplined desire to achieve the mission
- Listening Skills - must be an active listener to ensure client needs are fully understood and met