Job Seekers, Sign In
Historian (Instructor) « Position Deleted on 2/23/2013 »
|Institution:||U.S. Merchant Marine Academy|
|Location:||Kings Point, NY|
|Salary:||$52,182 to $89,142 USD Per Year|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsJob Announcement #: USMMA-2012-10
OPEN PERIOD: February 23, 2012 to February 22, 2013
The first cut-off will be within 5 working days after the
opening of this announcement for the Third Trimester. Qualified applicants do not need to re-apply following
each cut-off period.
FEDERAL OCCUPATIONAL SERIES & GRADE: AD-0170-01/01
APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED BY EMAIL AT HRApplicantInbox@usmma.edu
POSITION INFO: Part Time position serving as an Adjunct Faculty Instructor. Initial Appointments will be for a single Academic Trimester but may be extended for additional Trimesters totaling a period not to exceed one year.
DUTY LOCATIONS: Few Vacancy(s) at the following location:
Kings Point, NY
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: Applications will be accepted from all U.S. Citizen
Please note that this position is in the Excepted Service. The position is part-time with an intermittent schedule.
This is a standing open register announcement used to establish a list of available and eligible applicants for potential consideration. Cut-offs will be used to review and consider applications during the open period. Cut-offs will be based strictly on need in conjunction with the Academy's academic calendar. Qualified applicants who are not selected will be re-considered for each cut-off period.
The Mission of the United States Merchant Marine Academy is to educate and graduate licensed merchant mariners and leaders of exemplary character who will serve America's marine transportation and defense needs in peace and war.
The USMMA is one of the five Federal Academies; it is a four-year, residential college located on the North Shore of Long Island in Western Nassau County. It is one of the world's foremost institutions in the field of maritime education. Located on 82 acres of waterfront land, it includes a library and fitness and recreational facilities available to both faculty and staff. For further information, visit our web site at http://www.usmma.edu.
The position is that of an Instructor in the Department of Humanities, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, N.Y. The Academy is a degree granting institution fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Universities. Upon graduation, the Midshipmen (male and female) are awarded Bachelor of Science degrees, licensed as Merchant Marine Officers by the U.S. Coast Guard, and are commissioned as Officers in the U.S. Naval Reserve.
A well-qualified candidate is a highly motivated and experienced professional who has the academic credentials and background in History to teach college age students. Highly desirable is at least 5 Academic years of teaching experience above the High School level in History.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply
- Submit application and resume by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date
- Review Required Documents Section as documents are required by closing date
- This a Non-Tenure Track position
- You must meet education requirements and provide transcripts
- The position holds a part-time and intermittent schedule
- Successful completion of a pre-employment Background Investigation is required
You will be responsible for the development and conduct of educational courses and programs, instruction and academic counseling of Midshipmen.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EVALUATIONS
Qualification standards are used to determine which applicants would be able to perform satisfactory in the position to be filled. The education, training, experience, or other requirements included in the qualification standards are minimum requirements. i.e., it would be unlikely that an applicant for employment would be able to perform satisfactorily in a particular position or occupational series if he or she did not possess these qualifications.
To qualify for this position, you must meet the Educational and Specialized Experience requirements listed below.
Minimum Educational Requirement:
To qualify for a Historian (Instructor) you must have a Master's degree from an accredited college or university in History.
A minimum of 1 Academic years of teaching experience above the High School level in History.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Basis for Rating:
For this announcement, all applicants will be reviewed to determine if they meet the basic qualifications for this position, specifically the educational and specialized experience requirements. All applications that are verified to meet the basic qualifications will be referred to the selecting official.
Benefits: This is a Temporary Appointment not to exceed 1 year and therefore does not confer entitlement to employment benefits.
How to Apply:
You must submit a complete application package (including resume, transcript, education/degree question response and supporting documents) no later than 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
Send all required documents via email to:
(Please list the Job Announcement number and Job Title on the subject line of the email)
AGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION:
U.S. Department of Transportation
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
Office of Human Resources
300 Steamboat Road
Kings Point, New York 11024-1699
The following documents must be provided by the close date:
- RESUME - showing relevant experience and education
- COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE - on your Education and Experience
- TRANSCRIPTS - Verifying that you meet the stated education requirements. Unofficial copies are sufficient to apply but official copies may be required prior to appointment.
- SF-50 showing that you are qualified to work in the federal service in this series.
- VETERANS - In order to be considered as a preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD214. Your DD-214 need not be official but must show the type of discharge and dates of active duty. If you are claiming 10 point preference eligibility, you must submit an application for 10pt preference (SF-15) and proof of entitlement of this preference which is normally a valid letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability.
o SF-15 & Letter for Veterans Administration - required if requesting consideration as a 10% or more compensably disabled veteran.
- EEO Policy Statement:
- Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement:
Please answer the following questions and include your responses with your submitted documents;
1. Select the response that best describes your education that will qualify you for this position. You will need to provide transcripts for verification of education.
a) I have earned a Bachelor's degree (or equivalent four year degree) from an accredited school in the related field for this position.
b) I have completed a Master's degree (or equivalent) from an accredited school in a related field for this position.
c) I have completed a Doctorate degree (or equivalent) from an accredited school in a related field for this position.
d) None of the above.
2. Indicate the number of college level credit hours you have taught in the last 5 years (on your resume).
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in disqualification and removal from consideration for this position.