Research Technologist 2 - 20452 « Position Deleted on 1/14/2013 »
About Northwestern University:
Northwestern University is a private research university located on lakefront campuses in both Evanston and downtown Chicago, Illinois. Northwestern was founded in 1851. In fall 2008, Northwestern opened another campus in Doha, Qatar offering bachelor's degrees in journalism and communications in partnership with the Qatar Foundation.
The university employs approximately 7,100 full-time faculty and staff members among its 11 schools and colleges. NU offers over 130 undergraduate programs and 70 graduate and professional programs to the almost 16,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students enrolled full time.
Northwestern University is committed to excellent teaching, innovative research, and the personal and intellectual growth of its students in a diverse academic community.
Northwestern University seeks to employ a varied and diverse range of dynamic people who understand the importance of our mission and vision. When you consider a career at Northwestern University, you know that you are joining an institution with a deep history of academic, professional and personal excellence.
Currently, we have a career opportunity as a Research Technologist 2.
Performs a variety of standard research lab procedures under supervision, and/or assists in design of one or more specific phase(s) of entire project(s). May complete mathematical calculations, and/or computer tasks and/or assist in judging validity of data. Follows appropriate protocols, policies, procedures, regulations, Good Clinical and Good Laboratory Practices.
The candidate for this position will work in a chemistry laboratory environment.
This is a Part Time position with a standard workload of 25 hours per week. Occasionally a flexible work schedule may be required; standard workdays and hours will be determined by the supervisor and the successful candidate.
This critical role:
- Under limited supervision, operates automated solid peptide synthesizer and high pressure liquid chromatography (HPLC) purification instrument to facilitate a variety of faculty research projects in a Core Facility.
- Following protocols, designs, sets-up, and conducts basic laboratory procedures.
- Analyzes and troubleshoots protocols and data obtained from individual projects and recommends alternatives and suggestions to improve processes, validity and/or accuracy.
- Provides training, assistance, monitoring, and support for undergraduates, graduate students, and post-doctoral researchers on operation of Core Facility lab equipment;
- Responsible for primary upkeep and maintenance of lab equipment and lab environment, lab safety, appropriate hazardous handling and disposal;
- May track & summarize lab supply expenses &/or verify accuracy of invoices.
- May order &/or maintain inventory of reagents, mice &/or lab supplies, and consumables.
- BS in Chemistry, Materials Science, Biochemistry, Chemical or Biomedical Engineering or related fields and 1-2 years practical lab/bench experience is required.
- Demonstrated laboratory experience;
- A basic understanding of general laboratory practices, procedures, and skills is required
- Demonstrated ability to follow detailed instructions as required by research protocols;
- Demonstrated computer skills, including spreadsheets and basic computations;
- Attention to detail and accurate record keeping;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Manual dexterity;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with strong customer service orientation;
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Previous experience with peptide synthesis and HPLC.
- Experience with general laboratory equipment maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of faculty and student researchers.
- Ability to train, assist, and oversee student researchers.
Beyond being a place to learn and grow professionally, Northwestern is an exciting and fulfilling place to work! Northwestern offers many benefit options to full and part-time employees including: competitive compensation; excellent retirement plans; comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage; dependent care match; vacation, sick and holiday pay; professional development opportunities and tuition reimbursement.
Northwestern greatly values work/life balance amongst its employees. Take advantage of recreational, cultural, and enrichment opportunities on campus. Employees also receive access to childcare solutions, retail discounts, and other work/life balance resources.
Northwestern University is an equal opportunity employer and strongly believes in creating an environment that welcomes students, faculty and staff of all races, nationalities and religions. In doing so, we offer our students the opportunity to learn and grow in diverse communities preparing them for successful careers in an increasingly global and diverse work force.
For consideration, please click on the link below. You will be directed to Northwestern University's electronic recruiting system, eRecruit, where you will search and apply for current openings. To apply for this position in eRecruit, enter the Job Opening ID number in the appropriate search field. Once you apply, you will receive an email confirming submission of your resume. For all resumes received, if there is interest in your candidacy, the human resources recruiter or the department hiring manager will contact you. Job Opening ID number for this position is 20452.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.