Bilingual Student Support Specialist « Position Deleted on 2/19/2013 »
|Institution:||Indiana Wesleyan University|
Wesley Seminary has an opening for a full-time Bilingual Student Support Specialist. This individual will serve as a liaison between Spanish speaking seminary students and the various support departments serving Wesley Seminary students by responding to initial inquiries, helping students through the enrollment process, translating requests, facilitating conversations and instructions between support departments and the student and assisting with translation of academic documents from English to Spanish. In addition, this individual will serve as the primary building receptionist and initial point of phone contact and provide office assistance when needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the primary contact for current and prospective Spanish speaking seminary students with written, phone and face to face functions. Provide translation support between students and seminary support departments including financial aid, student services, accounting, blackboard support, etc.
- Provide regular and meaningful follow up to students
- Maintain conversation and student records and enter appropriate data in software systems to demonstrate a thorough record of activity
- Serve as primary receptionist for the Seminary facility
- Serve as the initial point of contact for inbound calls to the Seminary
- Work with Dean of Wesley Seminary to locate Spanish resources and obtain copyright or permission to translate resources into Spanish.
- Handle all translation needed including course documents and other materials when necessary. Review and assist with the translation of a variety of academic materials and communications for Hispanic students to ensure proper grammar and messaging.
- Ensure Spanish website is current.
- Order and distribute textbooks to students and faculty when necessary and track student textbook payments.
- Manage communication with Hispanic adjunct faculty, secure documents for hiring,
- Prepare course agreements, track courses and faculty in Colleague and Seminary database, provide course instructional materials, and maintain files.
- Hispanic Group Starts (Residentials or week-long courses). Translate for English speaking guests during the Residential. Track lodging, prepare packets, etc.
- Prepare and process forms for the student as required.
- Other responsibilities may include building class calendars, faculty scheduling, and other office processes.
- Provide support to the Seminary Director of Latino Latina Education and to the Coordinator of Operations.
Education: Some College Preferred, High School diploma required.
- Superior oral and written communication skills in English and in Spanish.
- Superior oral and written Spanish translation skills.
- Good computer skills with working experience in a variety of applications.
- Ability to relate and interact well with pastors, ministerial students, and IWU community.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and compliance with FERPA laws.
Indiana Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse learning community of committed evangelical Christians from all racial and ethnic backgrounds.