Job Seekers, Sign In
Sciences Librarian « Position Deleted on 3/02/2013 »
|Institution:||Illinois Wesleyan University|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsSciences Librarian
Illinois Wesleyan University
Illinois Wesleyan University's The Ames Library invites applications for a tenure-track 12-month faculty position as Sciences Librarian. The responsibilities of this full-time position include the following:
● Collaborate with students and faculty of Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, & Physics departments in discovery and use of scholarly resources and technologies
● Teach information discovery, appropriate use of scientific literature, source evaluation, intellectual property concepts, and academic integrity
● Develop and maintain web-based materials to support and supplement these collections and services, and explore opportunities to integrate instructional technology into the curriculum
● Explore emerging technologies in support of science education
● Support science faculty teaching and research
● Stay aware of trends in scientific scholarly communication and curricula
● Develop collections in the sciences
● Help library patrons with information needs on an individual basis.
In addition to these responsibilities, the successful candidate will also play a key role in exploring IWU's involvement in supporting e-science initiatives and digital data curation. Experience with managing and teaching the use of survey instruments and other research tools (such as GIS and SPSS) is welcomed. Library faculty serve on college-wide committees and participate in faculty meetings and consensus-based governance.
IWU is a nationally ranked, fully accredited undergraduate university with 2050 students that provides the highest quality liberal arts education. The Ames Library offers a learning environment that is conducive to interaction, consultation, study, and reflection, and is dedicated to serving the scholarly needs of the Illinois Wesleyan University community. Opened in 2002, the state-of-the art library facility comprises 103,000 square feet on five levels, with a diverse and strong print and digital collection.
● ALA-accredited MLS
● Familiarity with the literature of disciplines in the sciences (biology, chemistry, computer sciences, mathematics and physics)
● Ability to work well independently and collaboratively with others in a rapidly changing environment
● Familiarity with and/or experience teaching the practices and methods of scientific scholarship and literature
● Enthusiasm, collegiality, and commitment to excellence
● undergraduate degree or graduate work in the sciences
● academic library work experience
● experience in instructional design and understanding student learning
● experience with survey and research tools such as Qualtrics or Survey Monkey, GIS, SPSS, etc.
● Any relevant equivalence in education, experience, or training that provides the necessary skills, abilities, and knowledge will be considered.
Individuals interested in applying should submit a letter of application, vita, and the names and contact information of three current references to Karen Schmidt, University Librarian, The Ames Library, 1 Ames Plaza, PO Box 2899, Bloomington, IL 61702-2899. Application materials may also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin February 15, 2013 and continue until the position is filled.
Illinois Wesleyan is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.