Job Seekers, Sign In
Academic Advisor - 591101 Aa College Of Arts And Sci Admin « Position Deleted on 3/08/2013 »
|Institution:||East Carolina University|
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsJob Description: The primary role of the academic advisor is to provide effective academic advising to the first and second year students intending to major in one of the departments within the college. HCAS utilizes an advising model that is a combination of professional academic advisors and faculty advisors to provide student advising. Advisors assist students with making appropriate course selection, identifying their interests and talents, choosing careers and appropriate majors, understanding university academic policies and procedures, and becoming engaged in the life of the university.
The professional advisor's primary role is to provide effective academic advising to students who are interested in majors within the Thomas Harriot College of Arts & Sciences. The advisors' duties include:
1) Assisting students in major and career exploration and course selection
2) Ensuring that advisees understand registration processes
3) Assisting students with understanding the foundations curriculum
4) Maintaining organized and current records
5) Monitoring advisee's academic performance
6) Referring students to appropriate university units, learning resources, and support services
7) Meeting regularly with students
8) Promoting student engagement in social, volunteer and civic activities, and major-related student organizations
9) Creating programs, workshops, and other initiatives to enhance students' academic performance
10) Teaching the Freshman Seminar course
11) Participating in activities such as Open House and summer orientation
12) Providing input into new and improved programs and systems to enhance student retention
13) Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications: A master's degree in counseling, education, psychology or the liberal arts from a regionally appropriately accredited institution is required. Strong advising, interpersonal, analytical, and organizational skills are required.
Two or more years of experience in counseling, advising, and/or teaching in higher-education is preferred. Also, prefer that the Bachelor's degree be in a liberal arts and sciences discipline. Candidates need strong computer skills and should enjoy working in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Screening will begin January 22 , 2013 and continue until the position is filled. To apply, submit the following online: a candidate profile, letter of application, resume/vitae, and three current letters of recommendation. Inquiries may be sent to email@example.com or HCAS Academic Advisor Search Committee, Office of the Dean, 1002 Bate, Mail Stop 511, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858-4353.
An application will be considered incomplete if any of the materials requested above are missing. Official transcripts required upon employment.
Date Initial Screening Begins: 01/22/2013
Job Close Date: Open Until Filled
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action University and accommodates individuals with disabilities. Proper documentation of identity and employability is required at the time of employment.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.