College of ACES: Professor and Head - Animal Sciences (F1200206) « Position Deleted on 3/16/2013 »
|Institution:||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|Notes:||included on Affirmative Action email|
Professor and Head
Department of Animal Sciences
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is searching to fill the position of Professor and Head, Department of Animal Sciences. The Head is a senior member of the college administrative team and is expected to provide departmental leadership in a decentralized campus environment that emphasizes academic excellence and fulfillment of the Land Grant mission. This is a full-time administrative position with responsibility for guiding the department's research, teaching, extension, and outreach activities.
The Department of Animal Sciences includes 38 tenured and tenure-track faculty members involved in teaching, research and extension, with expertise in nutrition, physiology, immunology and behavior, reproductive biology, microbiology, genetics, genomics and bioinformatics, meat science and muscle biology, production and environmental management, and companion animal biology. The Department maintains research and teaching farms on campus for beef, dairy, poultry, swine and horses and has beef research stations for beef cattle in Southern and Western Illinois. The department offers curricula for approximately 500 undergraduates and 100 graduate students pursuing MS and PhD degrees on campus. For more information see http://ansci.illinois.edu/.
A PhD in animal sciences or closely related field with demonstrated excellence in research and resident instruction or extension education, and administrative ability. The candidate must be qualified for a tenured appointment at the rank of full professor. The candidate must have strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with faculty, students, staff, administrators, and various stakeholder groups. An understanding of and commitment to the goals of a Land Grant university is essential. Experience with public and private funding sources is necessary.
The Professor and Head of the Department of Animal Sciences is a full-time administrative position responsible for the administration of the teaching, research, and extension activities of the Department, specifically:
- Provide strategic leadership to the faculty and staff
- Establish goals and develop and communicate policy guidelines in consultation with the faculty
- Inspire academic excellence through recruitment, mentoring, and encouragement, of faculty, staff, and students
- Support faculty, staff, and students in securing external and intramural funding, fellowships, honors, and awards
- Champion the continued improvement of our top-ranked graduate and undergraduate programs of studies
- Administer budgetary and financial matters within the department, including financial accounting, budget preparation, allocation of funds among departmental programs and personnel
- Plan and implement programs to enhance departmental research and educational facilities
- Initiate and facilitate the acquisition of outside support and resources to advance Department goals
- Represent the Department at the College and Campus levels
- Extend and enhance relationships with stakeholders and other key external partners at the state, national, and international levels
Proposed Starting Date: August 16, 2013
Salary: The salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Full consideration will be given to applicants that apply by 02/15/13. However, the position will remain open until filled.
Applicants should create their candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application/statement of interest including the applicant's administrative experience/philosophy, a curriculum vita, and contact information for three (3) professional references (include name, title, address, phone, fax, email) by close of business on February 15, 2013. All documents should be in pdf or Word format. All requested information must be submitted for the application to be given full consideration .
For further information, contact Dr. Jeffrey Brawn, Search Committee Chair, via e-mail ( email@example.com ). For questions regarding the application process, please contact Donna Bosch ( firstname.lastname@example.org).
The University of Illinois is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity ( www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).