Job Seekers, Sign In
Full Time Faculty - Finance - South University Online « Position Deleted on 3/10/2013 »
|Institution:||South University Online|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsRequired: Terminal degree.
Travel Required: Occasional overnight travel.
Summary: Instruct and facilitate meaningful learning of the course competencies in the curriculum and proactively support all facets of the online learning environment. Provide career education through learner-centered instruction that will enable graduates to fulfill the evolving needs of the marketplace.
Encourage a culture of learning that values mutual responsibility, life-long learning, diversity, and ethics as well as personal and professional development. Incumbent must assure that the South University philosophy: quality services to students; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion - is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
The Full-time Faculty also participates in activities that promote the stature of the academic programs, departments, and colleges and abides by the mandates set by the South University Board of Trustees and administration.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
- Manages the educational process to ensure every student is involved in a positive educational experience through the learning, teaching, and social environment.
- As a Full-time Faculty member (Rank), performs faculty responsibilities as outlined in the faculty job description and in accordance with the provisions of Faculty Supplement to the South University Employee Handbook.
- Communicates consistently and effectively with the Program Director for Online Programs, Assistant Program Director for Online Programs, faculty, and other South University administrators.
- Provides competency-based education which aligns with the South University model of curricula as well as supports the South University style of system delivery.
- Designs and delivers class instruction through the development of instructional plans to meet course competencies, the development of activities which support lesson objectives, and (in the case of online faculty ONLY) delivers the instruction as approved.
- Enables the achievement of pre-described exit competencies for student achievement and evaluation of learning by providing instruction which fosters competencies and establish student performance criteria and evaluation.
- Delivers learning-centered instruction by establishing a classroom environment conducive to learning and student involvement as well as effectively planning and preparing for classes and student success.
- Promotes student success by showing flexibility in style and work schedule as well as exhibiting a passion for teaching and students and engaging students in the learning process.
- Manages the learning environment through keeping accurate records, submitting grades and other reports on time, and enforcing academic and attendance policies of the University.
- Relates professional/life/industry experience to learning by the continuation of professional/technical skills development, the introduction of industry perspective into courses, and the active awareness of professional/industry trends and opportunities.
- Contributes to a learning culture by participating on curriculum and University task forces, supporting University events such as orientation and graduation, and participating in various other workshops and meetings.
- Participates in the faculty development process to enhance knowledge, skills, and abilities in learner-centered instruction.
- Coaches a designated group of full-time faculty and adjunct faculty in the discipline to be taught, emphasizing current developments in the discipline and best educational practices.
- Supports the curriculum revision and development processes (including ad hoc and educational delivery issues) to ensure the achievement of program and course competencies as determined by the college and University.
Reports to: Program Director for Online Programs or Assistant Program Director for Online Programs - South University and the Dean of the College.
Directly Supervises: None.
Interacts with: South University college/school deans, department chairs, program directors, faculty, and administration at the Savannah campus and online.
- A terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution in Finance or related discipline, with a minimum of 18 semester or 27 quarter hours of graduate coursework in the discipline to be taught.
- Other requirements specific to the discipline, including active, valid, and unencumbered licensure or certification.
- Membership in a professional association tied to the discipline to be taught preferred.
- At least two years in instruction or formalized education process experience at South University or another post-secondary education institution, with online experience a plus.
- Excellent teaching skills as evidenced in prior teaching evaluations.
- Successful completion of the New Faculty Orientation course through South University.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to build successful relationships with student populations.
- Excellent critical thinking and decision-making skills, combined with a detail orientation.
- Excellent time management skills to work effectively under pressure and to meet frequently occurring deadlines.
- Outstanding conflict resolution skills.
- Experience with computerized learning management and administrative systems, including proficiency with the use of standard office applications on personal computers.
- Ability to read, understand, interpret, and follow academic and educational policies and procedures of the University.
- Willingness to work in an accelerated learning format, working online with students five of seven days per online week without missing two consecutive days.
- Willingness to respond in a timely fashion to student questions requiring academic actions and administrative tasks in support of an accelerated learning format, in consultation with pertinent individuals and departments.
- Access to a personal computer, Internet connection, and telephone connection (hardware, software, and Internet access specifications to be provided) to fulfill teaching and related administrative responsibilities.
- Ability to work effectively, cooperatively, and flexibly in a learning environment.
- Ability to learn from students' participation, demonstrates fair and consistent behavior in all matters, and shows compassion without being ineffectual.
- Ability to develop a professional rapport with personnel across the colleges, departments, and administrative functions of the University.
- Ability to develop and complete projects without continued direct supervision.
- Responsible for teaching 16 courses (a total of 64 quarter credit hours) per Academic Year, with most courses of 5.5 weeks in duration.
- Ability to teach courses as an overload beginning after successful completion of one year as a Full-time Faculty at the University and with specific approval.
- Ability to physically work in the United States while performing all responsibilities of the position for the University.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Education Management Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.