Manager, Systems Administration « Position Deleted on 2/24/2013 »
|Location:||Las Vegas, NV|
Ellucian, the new company formed by the combination of Datatel and SunGard Higher Education, helps education institutions thrive in a dynamic world. We deliver a broad portfolio of technology solutions, developed in collaboration with a global education community, and provide strategic guidance to help education institutions of all kinds navigate change, achieve greater transparency, and drive efficiencies. More than 2,400 institutions in 40 countries around the world look to Ellucian for the ideas and insights that will move education forward, helping people everywhere discover their futures through learning. Visit us at ellucian.com.
Is there really a formula for happiness? We think so: Happiness = Ellucian
Creating solutions for Higher Education is our business and we do it well. The key reason why our company is successful is our employees. We learned a long time ago that happy employees are the most productive. Simply put, we are passionate about our employees and their success.
So, what makes you happy? Do you like being a part of a high energy team that likes helping others? Do you thrive on working in a fast paced environment? Our expectations are high, and we work hard - and we have a lot of fun in the process. It doesn't hurt that we have amazing benefits too! We offer 3 weeks of vacation, employee events, and medical benefits that start on your first day - and that's just the beginning. Come join us as a Manager, Systems Administration
You will add value by:
- Managing the Server team as well as configuring and maintaining all server systems, network and providing technical support.
- Overseeing the completion of projects, system enhancements, applying vendor upgrades and proving some application support.
- Focusing on day-to-day server operations, resolving customer issues for our Microsoft Windows based environment.
- Building/maintaining x86/x64 Windows 2003/2008 servers, the operation of Microsoft Exchange 2010, the operation of VMware ESX servers, the operation of Microsoft SQL 2000/2005/2008, and maintaining multiple other Windows-based applications.
- Performing diagnostics, resolving problems, escalating problems to vendors as required, working with other group members, and taking appropriate actions to assure appropriate and prompt solutions to system, application, and customer problems.
- Making recommendations regarding hardware and software acquisition, preparing/maintaining documentation (both operational and troubleshooting) on systems/services/applications, and providing user assistance to campus staff and faculty.
- Installing, configuring, maintaining, documenting, troubleshooting and upgrading hardware, firmware, peripherals, operating systems, and applications as required.
- Performing other work as required
- Moderate lifting will be required.
What we need from you:
- Four (4) or more years' experience working in Microsoft Exchange 2007/2010 in an administrative capacity.
- Five (5) or more years' experience working in a Microsoft Windows 2008 R2.environment in an administrative capacity.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or related field is preferred.
- Equivalent work experience will be considered.
- Intermediate level systems administrator on Microsoft Exchange 2007/2010.
- Intermediate systems administrator on Microsoft Windows 2003/2008.
- Intermediate to expert level systems administrator on VMware ESX servers.
- Theory and operations of backup systems. This includes the entire backup/restoration process for all supported servers/services.
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP networking.
- Intermediate knowledge of systems monitoring, and long term trending of SLA, performance, and sizing metrics.
- Moderate lifting (<70lbs) is required in the course of the day-to-day work.
- Must be self-motivated, self-driven, and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Takes pride in their work and will do what is necessary to make their project deliverables "right" instead of "good enough".
- Enjoys troubleshooting and eliminating problems.
- Excellent documentation and communication skills.
- Ability to work well in a team.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Systems Administrator for one or more: Solaris, or Linux.
- Microsoft certifications such as MCSE and MCP.
- Cisco experience / certifications
- Security certifications such as a CISSP.
- Setup and usage of network and systems monitoring and trending.
- Web development & Web systems