Business and Financial Specialist - Mechanical Science and Engineering (A1300006) « Position Deleted on 1/30/2013 »
|Institution:||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|Notes:||included on Affirmative Action email|
Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering
Business and Financial Specialist (Full-time)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering at the University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Business and
Financial Specialist. This position is responsible for providing a wide array of business operations, accounting, and financial support services to the faculty, staff, and students of the department.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership for the department's business operations, accounting, personnel, and financial support services functions.
- Responsible for completing monthly, quarterly, and year-end close accounting activities to ensure timely, complete and accurate financial reporting to departmental management, staff and faculty researchers.
- Responsible for the maintenance and oversight of the departmental chart of accounts in Banner, and the MechSE Chart application and financial reporting systems.
- Provide information and consultation services to faculty, staff and students regarding State of Illinois, University, campus and departmental procedures for personnel, payroll, purchasing, travel and other expense reimbursement. Responsible for reviewing and interpreting changes in applicable rules and regulations and recommending and developing policies and procedures to ensure continued compliance, as well as the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Responsible for reviewing sponsored project expenditures and ensuring integrity, accuracy and allowability of transactions in accordance with project budgets and agreements. Oversee the reconciliation of sponsored project funds. Design and maintain various reports, spreadsheets, and/or databases to effectively manage sponsored project funds.
- Assist faculty and principal investigators with the management of their research projects and accounts, including assisting with their personnel budgets and various appointments and other charges to sponsored research projects. Further assist in managing personnel budgets by redistributing appointments of principal investigators and research staff in response to changes in research effort.
- Prepare or oversee the preparation of various standard and ad hoc financial reports for department administration, GCO, and/or faculty and principal investigators. Assist with preparation of the annual budget and forecasting projects.
- Complete sponsored project close-out reviews and work with the OBFS Grants and Contracts Office to close completed project accounts in a timely manner.
- Monitor and analyze departmental work processes and procedures to develop more efficient and effective procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of customer service.
- Oversee the department's procurement and payable operations to ensure compliance with applicable regulations, policies and procedures and timely and efficient ordering and reimbursement processing. Assist with the oversight of the department's P-card and T-card processes and procedures. Prepare periodic reports of the department's P-card transactions to facilitate an overall review of the P-card program and individual cardholder's compliance with applicable policies and procedures.
- Oversee the account reconciliation process and ensure all account reconciliations are performed on a timely basis and necessary accounting corrections are performed timely. Train and supervise extra help and/or student employees on the detailed processes of attaching the necessary transaction documentation to the electronic files used for reconciliation.
- Assist with other business and financial operations as necessary.
This position is a twelve-month, full-time academic professional appointment with standard university benefits. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and credentials.
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by January 28,
2012. Interviews may be conducted before the closing date, but the final decision will not be made until after that date. The starting date will be as soon as a suitable candidate is identified after the closing date.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application, a resume, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three references. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, contact: Emily Lange, firstname.lastname@example.org , (217) 244-1157.
Illinois is an Affirmative Action /Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. ( www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu ) .