Job Seekers, Sign In
Application Specialist - CITES (A1300010) « Position Deleted on 1/29/2013 »
|Institution:||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobs
Campus Information Technologies and Educational Services University of Illinois at Urbana-ChampaignApplication Specialist
Campus Information Technologies and Educational Services
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Campus Information Technologies and Educational Services (CITES) is the provider of campus-wide computing, networking, telephone, and instructional technology services supporting academic activities of faculty, staff, and students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
CITES has an opening for an Application Specialist who plays a significant role in maintaining production level IT services that are robust, high-quality, and reliable, meeting the needs of CITES' customers. This position may assume primary or secondary responsibilities for one or more services, such as CITES Wiki, in-house developed applications, cloud services, or mailing lists. This position reports to the Assistant Director, Production Applications.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports applications of medium scale - defined numbers of end users (<10,000), medium risk, or moderate infrastructure complexity (i.e. application layer, database layer, storage layer, network layer as separate components).
- Demonstrates effectiveness with problem, incident, change and release management, and testing processes including the use of testing tools.
- Ability to implement appropriate monitoring processes for a target service.
- Recognizes the need for and implements appropriate infrastructure components to support security policies and procedures including but not limited to SSL certifications, privileged accounts, firewalls, etc.
- Knowledge of applicable data formats and/or standards for service to be supported, for example, XML, JSR 168, JSR 286, IMS Standards, etc.
- Develops scripts in at least one programming language and manages source code with best practice processes and available tools.
- Ability to administer web servers.
- Understands web application containers (i.e. tomcast, jboss) and web services technologies (i.e. http, SOAP) applicable to service.
- Provides input to business plans, system design, product evaluations, and capacity planning in a structured manner.
- Understands the need for and demonstrates knowledge of data stewardship in areas applicable to position.
- Awareness of major business cycles that impact service offerings.
- Communicates with vendors or other third parties outside the campus entity using predefined methods for ticket submission, support, and enhancement requests.
- Searches user forums, knowledgebases, and other related resources online for related items and appropriately applies knowledge gained.
- Participates constructively in meetings with relevant, concise and reasoned analysis of topical matter.
- Trains junior, backup, and other staff as necessary.
- Ensures excellent Customer Service throughout the Application Services Unit.
- Partners with the CITES Service Desk by setting and managing the expectations of customers; acting as an advocate for CITES clients in service planning and deployment across the organization; and resolving customer satisfaction issues.
- Bachelor degree required, preferably in a computer related field.
- Minimum of two years experience in information technology field.
- Demonstrated experience supporting moderate scale applications with limited supervision.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of service life cycle management processes including but not limited to incident management, change management, root cause analysis, testing, and monitoring.
- Demonstrated ability developing scripts to automate processes.
- Ability to create and maintain appropriate service management documentation.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours and to respond to on-call requests to provide 24 x 7 service availability.
- Demonstrated ability in effective communication and collaborating in a high performance team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service.
- Experience in participating in diverse workgroups.
Appointment Status and Salary
This position is a regular, full-time, twelve-month academic professional appointment and includes salary and a benefits package (24 vacation days; health, dental, vision; SURS retirement). Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The starting will be some time after the closing date. There will be no relocation costs included in this package. Applicants should have a current, valid legal authorization to work in the United States.
For full consideration, applications should be received by January 23, 2013. Please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a combined package of materials in one file - PDF preferred (letter of application, resume, and the names/addresses/telephone/email of three professional references). The online application will require the names and contact information for the three professional references. Employment requires three letters of recommendation and a criminal background check for the finalist. For further information about this position, please contact Regina Stevenson at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (217) 333-4222.
Illinois is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer who welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The administration, faculty and staff embrace diversity and are committed to attracting qualified candidates who also embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.