Extension Agent, Family and Consumer Sciences/ Ward County « Position Deleted on 4/23/2013 »
|Institution:||North Dakota State University|
Location: Minot, North Dakota
The Extension Agent/Family and Consumer Sciences will work collaboratively with a team of Extension professionals and volunteers to provide dynamic program leadership for the Ward County 4-H youth development program and family and consumer science program. The family and consumer science program includes the disciplines of human development, nutrition, health and food safety, and family financial resource management. An area of subject matter competency from one of these disciplines will be determined by person's academic background and experience. This position is supervised by the Northwest District Director.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide program leadership, interpret and integrate information, and teach in the fields of youth development, human development and family science, human nutrition and food management, and family or financial management, to youth and adults.
- Provide leadership, resource support and program coordination for a 4-H youth development and youth base program with a measurable impact on enhancing life skills of youth, adults and volunteers.
- Provide leadership, community and economic development experiences relating to the family and consumer sciences program.
- Develop expertise in a subject matter competency area, and plan, implement and deliver educational programs on a county and communities of interest basis.
- Develop and implement volunteer recruitment, provide training, and management systems. This may include working with Family, Community and Education (FCE) organizations as well as other groups.
- Conduct needs and issues identification processes that result in programs based on the needs of county citizens.
- Build partnerships and collaborate with local organizations, governmental units and businesses to address issues that affect people throughout their life span. Collaborate with staff at North Dakota State University and throughout the NDSU Extension Service to develop interdisciplinary programs.
- Evaluate and market the impact of educational programs delivered.
- Assure compliance with equal opportunity policies.
- Participate in professional development opportunities that enhance personal and professional effectiveness related to the duties of the position.
- Perform other assigned duties in support of Extension programming.
1. Bachelor's degree in the field of family and consumer sciences, education, communications, psychology or other area related to the position responsibilities. Family and consumer science degrees that may be appropriate for this position include; foods and nutrition, dietetics, consumer education, financial planning/economics, human development, human services, family relations, family systems, child development, and Extension education. Evidence of recent course work, professional development, or work experience related to position responsibilities. Possess the academic capacity to enroll in a relevant graduate program in the future.
2. Skills that demonstrate knowledge and application in one family and consumer science discipline and the understanding necessary to communicate the knowledge and application to other disciplines.
3. Program development and educational design skills to assess needs and issues, and develop, deliver and evaluate comprehensive learning experiences that help diverse youth and adult audiences enhance their lives and communities.
4. Information and technology skills necessary to reach and teach diverse audiences, work and communicate effectively, manage time and resources, and enhance one's ability to find, evaluate, and disseminate information.
5. Communication skills in listening, developing and conveying a clear concise message appropriate for the audience and for working effectively with others.
6. Organizational management skills including the ability to conduct oneself professionally, be comfortable with extensive travel, and manage time and resources (including grant-writing) to efficiently accomplish the duties of the position.
7. Familiarity with various ethnic and socioeconomic audiences, an interest and ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds, and a commitment to the principles of diversity.
8. Personal vehicle and valid driver's license.
1. Masters degree in education, family and consumer science or related discipline.
2. Recent Extension work experience.
3. Working knowledge of and experience with 4-H and/or other youth programs.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Screening will begin February 13, 2013, and continue until the position is filled.
To ensure full consideration, applicants must have three people familiar with their professional training and/or experience complete and mail the NDSU Extension Service Reference Form Word Document at: http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/ext-emp/emp-emp.htm
Mike Hanson, District Director
2718 Gateway Ave. #104
Bismarck, ND 58503
Applicants must also provide complete contact information for three additional persons familiar with their professional training and/or experience.
This position is exempt from North Dakota Veteran's Preference Requirements.
As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.