Job Seekers, Sign In
Admissions Counselor or Senior Admissions Counselor - Undergraduate Admissions (A1300054) « Position Deleted on 2/28/2013 »
|Institution:||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobs
Admissions Counselor/Senior Admissions Counselor
OFFICE OF UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSIONS
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has one or more openings for an Admissions Counselor or Senior Admissions Counselor. This position is 100% full-time, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position. Salary for these positions will start at $30,000. The Admissions Counselor/Senior Admissions Counselor will provide information about the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and the admissions and enrollment process to prospective students, their families and high school and community college counselors.
The Admissions Counselor will:
- Provide high quality service in all interactions with counselors, applicants and parents of prospective students.
- Present the outstanding academic resources, programs, facilities and extracurricular offerings of the Urbana-Champaign campus to prospective students and their parents. This includes speaking with individuals and to audiences ranging in size from one family to 400 or more people.
- Assist with the coordination and scheduling of various activities for new/prospective students.
- Follow up on promising admission prospects by telephone, e-mail, and/or written correspondence.
- Respond to prospective student inquiries for admissions information by telephone, in writing, via e-mail and in person.
- Represent the University at college day/night programs at high schools, prospective student receptions, and college fairs. Travel is both within the State of Illinois and to out-of-state territories and is heaviest for three months in the fall and one month in the spring. Evening and weekend travel is required.
- Schedule and make visits to selected high schools to meet with counselors and interested students.
- Assist with the development and implementation of visitation and admission programs to recruit highly qualified students to the Urbana campus.
- Review, as a member of the Admissions Committee, the academic qualifications and personal statement of applicants.
- Assume responsibility for several project assignments each year. The project assignments for these positions may vary from year to year based on the office's objectives, the skills of the admissions staff, and the incumbent's abilities and interests.
In addition, a Senior Admissions Counselor will:
- Chair a Review committee for freshman or transfer applicants. Work with Assistant and Associate Deans of the College to make admissions decisions and determine enrollment priorities.
- Plan recruitment events for prospective students this may include campus visit programs and off campus receptions. Track expenses and coordinate activities to stay within budget.
- Manage a primary recruitment territory out of state or be the primary contact for feeder high schools in Illinois. Track expenses and coordinate activities to stay within budget.
- Provide data and input to be used for recruitment planning.
Minimum education and work experience for Admissions Counselor:
- Bachelors degree and one year of relevant experience. Previous relevant work experience can include work as an undergraduate student.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Previous work experience in admissions, recruitment or higher education is a plus.
- An understanding of and sensitivity and commitment to affirmative action in
- educational access and employment.
- Enthusiastic approach to work and commitment to delivery of high quality
- An outgoing and warm personality.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Demonstrated writing ability and organizational skills.
- Interest in travel. A personal schedule that accommodates the travel
- portion of the position.
- A cooperative work style and strong personal initiative.
- High achievement in previous work and/or educational experiences.
- Familiarity with computers and computer systems.
- Ability to lift and move heavy boxes of materials.
Minimum education and work experience for a Senior Admissions Counselor:
In addition to the requirements listed above:
- Two additional years of relevant experience.
- Two years' work experience in undergraduate admissions and recruitment at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign or similar higher education
- institution experience.
- Knowledgeable in Banner and Talisma.
To ensure full consideration application materials must be received by February 22, 2103.
Start date is as soon as possible after the close of the search. All candidates must create a candidate profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of interest, resume, and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures,
contact Jennifer Steiling 217-244-9010.
Illinois is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu)
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The administration, faculty and staff embrace diversity and are committed to attracting qualified candidates who also embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.