Job Seekers, Sign In
Tutor (English, Chemistry and Physics) « Position Deleted on 4/23/2013 »
|Institution:||Elgin Community College|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobs
Elgin Community College
Elgin Community College (ECC) is a comprehensive, fully accredited community college located in Elgin, Illinois, one of its most rapidly growing cities. Our district encompasses 360 square miles, serving 400,000 people, 11,000 businesses with four public school districts and 15 high schools. ECC was selected as one of five Illinois community colleges to participate in the national Achieving the Dream (AtD) initiative. is a long-term national initiative that collaborates with community colleges to help more students earn degrees, complete certificates, or transfer to four-year institutions to continue their studies. The park-like setting of our 145 acre Main Campus offers instruction spanning nine major buildings with beautiful views. ECC also offers classes throughout the northwest suburbs of Chicago with more than 100 off-campus locations.
Fulfilling our mission to improve people's lives through learning, Elgin Community College offers more than a vibrant learning environment, high academic standards, and a real educational value. We are proud to provide some of the most satisfying careers in the field of higher education. Make a bright choice for the future of our students-and for the future of your career. We are currently accepting applications for the Part-Time Tutor (English, Chemistry and Physics) position.
Tutors are responsible for providing individual tutorial sessions, drop-in sessions, in-class tutoring or online, as assigned. Tutors must reinforce classroom instruction, encourage academic progress, and maintain an atmosphere conducive to learning. Tutors must be responsible, independent workers who maintain an on-time commitment. Tutors are expected to maintain confidentiality regarding the students they serve, especially as it regards students with disabilities.
1. Conduct individual tutoring session as assigned.
2. Maintain student records, time sheets, and other paperwork.
3. Provide drop-in, in-class or online tutoring as assigned.
4. Attend department meetings and training sessions. Participate in discussions regarding ways to better serve students.
5. Refer students to the Asst Dean, if appropriate.
1. Bachelor's degree or related experience in the subject in which the person will tutor.
2. Previous teaching experience preferred, especially with high school or college level students.
3. Must possess sensitivity to the needs of disadvantaged/at-risk student.
4. Must possess sensitivity for students of all cultures and various backgrounds.
5. Knowledge of, or willing to learn, how to tutor students with disabilities.
For a detailed job posting and to apply, please visit our web site at: https://jobs.elgin.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=51036
Elgin Community College is an Equal Employment, Equal Access Employer committed to increasing the diversity of our workforce.
Elgin Community College is an Equal Employment/Equal Access Employer committed to increasing the diversity of our workforce.