Job Seekers, Sign In
Market Research Specialist « Position Deleted on 5/10/2013 »
|Institution:||California State University, Sacramento|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobs
POSITION INFORMATION--Eligible on-campus applicants in CSUEU Bargaining Units 2, 5, 7, and 9 will be given first consideration in this recruitment.
This is a full time, temporary position ending on or before six months and one day from date of hire, renewable annually contingent upon funding, work performance and the recommendation of the supervisor. Employment in a temporary assignment may end before or be extended beyond the appointment expiration date, and/or be converted to a full-time or part-time probationary position contingent upon availability of funds and operational needs of the university.
NOTE: The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
HOURS: MONDAY - FRIDAY 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.; SOME TRAVEL REQUIRED.
BENEFITS/FLSA: This position is covered by health benefits, and is exempt (not eligible for overtime compensation) according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
FINAL APPLICATION DEADLINE: 11:59 P.M., WEDNESDAY, MAY 8, 2013.
SALARY--SALARY RANGE: $3,845.00 - $5,770.00 PER MONTH.
NOTE: It is the general practice of Sacramento State to hire at the lower end of the salary range. (This does not apply to promotions of on-campus employees.)
HIRING DEPARTMENT INFORMATION--The College of Continuing Education (CCE) administers professional development courses to adults of the region, state and internationally. The Strategic Communications & Emerging Markets Unit is responsible for preparing all the promotional material to promote programs or courses to potential students through various print and media opportunities. The Strategic Communications & Emerging Markets team works closely with program specialists to develop an understanding of each program in order to build a marketing plan targeted to that specific audience.
The Market Research Specialist is responsible for strategic marketing research for the college and program units for the College of Continuing Education (CCE). The incumbent will work closely with the various program center units to prepare marketing reports based on in-house or existing data sets from labor market or job outlook publications, including development of surveys and independent research studies. The incumbent will also manage external research vendors as needed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS--Entry to this classification requires general knowledge and skills in the applicable administrative and/or program field with a foundational knowledge of public administration principles, practices, and methods.
This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Working knowledge of and ability to apply standard theories, principles, practices, and techniques applicable to the program and/or administrative specialist to develop conclusion and make recommendations
- Working knowledge of operational and fiscal analysis and techniques; Ability to understand and analyze a variety of numerical data sets, e.g. workforce reports, website analytics, and budgets.
- Thorough knowledge in market research, including quantitative and qualitative research methodologies, survey questionnaires, analyzing data, writing reports, and preparing presentations.
- Ability to initiate and independently plan, organize, prioritize, multitask and coordinate work in a fast paced organization with competing priorities.
- Skill in research, development and evaluation of policies and programs, including skill in the collection, evaluation, and interpretation of data to develop sound conclusion and make appropriate recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interpret, organize, and present information and ideas in a variety of formats, e.g. reports, presentations, web-postings, and video productions.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff and influence, both verbally and in writing.
- Expertise in investigating and analyzing problems with a broad administrative impact and implications; Ability to anticipate problems and address them proactively.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and establish and maintain cooperative working relations with a diverse organization in order to implement systems or processes.
- Ability to work independently, possess self-direction skills to be able to proactively organize work, set priorities, anticipate setbacks and follow through on the position responsibilities.
- Ability to train and coach others and provide lead work direction.
- Ability to effectively use common computer application programs and related computer software packages (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, database, internet) in the course of assigned duties.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including but not limited to, computer, laptop, copier, fax machine, and printer.
Valid California Driver's license and maintenance of safe driving record.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Possess a valid driver's license required for occasional travel/
- Maintains knowledge and skills in digital and technical areas at a level necessary to perform current work with excellence.
- Experience in working with diverse public contact in higher education; professional training; or adult education programs.
- Experience in market research and statistical analysis.
- Experience in compiling, analyzing and reporting market trend information in order to develop sound conclusions and make appropriate recommendations to senior leaders and administrators.
- Working knowledge of and ability to apply contemporary theories, principles, and practices of market research, project management, data analysis, organizational communication, and business analysis.
- Experience in supervising or provident lead work to analysts and/or technical staff.
- Knowledge of research methodologies, performance metrics, organizational assessment, strategic planning, and/or project management.
- Ability to work in a team oriented environment and cooperatively as a member of the department and organization toward the achievement of its mission and goals.
- Knowledge of CSU software applications such as Common Management System (CMS); Continuity Spectrum (C2K).
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS--
- Conduct market analysis on industry sectors, target audience groups, workforce trends, and competitor offerings
- Maintain knowledge of emerging research related to trends in continuing education to help inform decision-making.
- Study competitors in the marketplace.
- Facilitate focus groups and prepare findings reports.
- Create and deliver surveys to various audiences and compile the findings.
- Maintain a strong understanding of program offerings in order to identify target audiences.
- Write reports and present synthesis of analytic work to a non-technical audience.
- Produce an annual Fact Book of data on faculty, staff, students, and academic programs at the College of Continuing Education (CCE).
- Analyze raw data, interpreting the extent and import of the findings.
- Conduct quantitative analyses and present information to a variety of audiences in both written and oral form.
- Develop strategies to improve marketing performance by translating quantitative findings into marketing applications through the interpretation of data, trends, an other data sources for potential marketing value.
- Produce effective summary reports to assist senior management in decision-making.
- Collaborate with colleagues to ensure data integrity, collection, and warehousing.
- Develop systematic reporting capabilities and documentation/dissemination strategies.
- Act as a market intelligence advisor to internal clients, including marketing and communications, educational technology, program units, and senior management to interpret research findings in the context of critical business needs and to apply this knowledge in developing and improving business strategy.
- Provide strategic analysis and recommendations for courses, programs, and marketing initiatives, researching and recommending distribution lists for institution and department marketing activities.
- Play a critical role in informing senior management on research related to local, regional and national trends in continuing education.
- Co-lead or lead directly, depending on internal audience, all phases of research projects including consulting with internal clients to identify research questions, determining methodological approach, evaluating internal and external resource options, managing project execution and results analysis, developing presentations, and disseminating results to senior management.
- Co-manage or manage research projects from initial idea/concept to implementation.
- Establish timelines and deadlines for internal and external projects.
- Determine and track performance metrics for projects and staff.
- Prepare data reports and implement data collection and reporting processes.
- Prioritize research projects and develop strategies to accomplish them.
- Oversee all external research vendor contracts.
- Establish, monitor, and improve standards, procedures, and policies relating to the management of external research vendors.
- Ensure quality and timely completion of projects by external research vendors in order to achieve internal and external customer satisfaction.
- Draft all external vendor contract language and requirements.
- Monitor all external research vendor contracts to ensure compliance with State of California and California State University procurement and contracting regulations.
- Monitor and maintain budget for external research vendor contracts.
- Professionally represent CCE, the Strategic Communications and Emerging Markets department, and the program areas by adhering to professional work standards, image, attendance, and productivity; and participate to organizational-wide committees or work groups.
- Participate in organizational and team meetings and assist marketing communication staff in the development and implementation of various projects including specialized activities.
- Attend association meetings or training sessions as a representative of CCE.
- Equal Employment Opportunity--
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, Sacramento State has made crime statistics available on-line at www.csus.edu/police/cleryact.htm. Reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Sacramento State and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus, during the last three years are included. The report also includes institutional policies concerning security, alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault and other safety matters. Print copies are available in the library, and by request from the Office of Public Safety and the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.