Coord of Student Activities- FT, Tenure-track, MCCC/MTA unit
|Institution:||Greenfield Community College|
Greenfield Community College (GCC) is located in the beautiful and historic Pioneer Valley of western Massachusetts, between the foothills of the Berkshire Mountains and the fertile farmland of the Connecticut River watershed. GCC is a public community college of approximately 2,100 students. Known for the caring and supportive attitude of the faculty and staff, and for the broad support it enjoys from the surrounding community, the college is fully accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. In addition to a strong Liberal Arts focus, the College offers a wide variety of innovative and successful programs including Gender and Women's Studies, Fine Arts, Nursing, Renewable Energy, and Outdoor Leadership, as well as varied learning environments, from traditional classrooms, to distance learning, peer tutoring, one-on-one faculty-student advising, workforce development, and learning communities that cater to specific needs and interests. Close to fifty percent of Greenfield Community College students transfer to four-year colleges, and it is Smith College's largest source of community college transfer students. Much of the College has just undergone a multi-million dollar renovation that sets the stage for future developments in learning. Greenfield Community College actively encourages and provides opportunities for leadership and professional development.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Under the general supervision of the Director of Student Development, the Coordinator of Student Activities plays a significant role in shaping a welcoming campus culture and facilitating student engagement beyond the classroom. This position defines goals and learning objectives for the office to enhance student leadership development and participation in co-curricular activities. Position collaborates with on and off-campus units in the design and implementation of activities and programs such as service learning, orientation and registration and other special events. The Coordinator facilitates the work of student groups, serves as a positive role model for students and demonstrates and cultivates respect for diversity. The coordinator oversees a comprehensive student activities program of cultural, recreational, and social programs and club activities for students. The Coordinator performs administrative work involving student activity planning and implementing programs, coordinating student activities, providing guidance to students, providing advisement for student clubs/organizations, preparing and implementing budgets, acting as liaison between students, faculty and administration, and producing student publications such as newsletters, handbooks, yearbooks, calendar of events, to include maintaining web site and social media presence. The coordinator is also responsible for organizing assigned staff and performing related work as directed.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Provides leadership and direction for the Office of Student Life
- Promotes student development through coordination of cultural, recreational, social, service related and non-credit educational programming
- Coordinates co-curricular programs in collaboration with other College offices and groups, including Martin Luther King Day program
- Contributes to the design and implementation of GCC's ambassador course
- Advises Student Senate, Activities Council and various student clubs and activities
- Co-coordinates the service learning program and contributes to the implementation of service learning projects on and off campus
- Provides leadership training and support for student leaders on campus
- Provides support, direction and training for faculty and staff serving as club advisors
- Contributes to the coordination of the Civic Engagement Board and the implementation of related activities on campus
- Negotiates contracts with performers, speakers and other vendors
- Assists with new student orientation and coordinates orientation for traditional aged students
- Develops Student Activities Budget in conjunction with Student Senate and in accordance with all rules, regulations and policies of the college and the Commonwealth
- Assists Dean of Enrollment and Student Services with Developing, coordinating and assessing College commencement, rehearsal and honors ceremonies
- Oversees Student Life work study students and open study room
- Employs various media to enhance communication with students
- Liaisons with community organizations to serve students
- Mentors students
- Serves on College committees
- Maintains professional knowledge in applicable areas
- Bachelor's degree in Education, Psychology, Student Affairs Administration, Student Development, Higher Education, or closely related field
- Six (6) years' experience and/or training that include student activity planning/coordination, leadership development, and interpersonal relations, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Ability to inform and guide others by applying principles of student development
- Ability to apply principles leadership development and successful group development
- Ability to exercise independent judgment to develop approaches and techniques to resolve individual student and program delivery problems
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
- Master's degree in Student Affairs Administration, Student Development, Higher Education or related field
- Two (2) years' experience working in a Student Development or Student Activities Office
- Community College experience and commitment to community college mission
- Experience creating inclusive and innovative programs for a diverse population of students
- Budget management experience
- Working knowledge of leadership and group development theory and best practices
- Program assessment experience with application of results for program improvement
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Familiarity with student data-base management system
Applicants should include a brief one-page statement regarding the applicant's desired outcomes from student activities programming and a description of the perceived role of the Student Activities Coordinator in shaping student development and educational success as part of their application.
Applicants who do not meet the qualifications as stated above are encouraged to put in writing precisely how their background and experience have prepared them for the responsibilities of this position.
GRADE AND SALARY: Grade 5. Salary range is $52,564 - $69,000.00. The appointment salary is based on one's education and experience as dictated in the collective bargaining agreement classification compensation structure. Candidates are therefore advised that it is unlikely the offered salary will be at or near the top of the range.
Start date: July 1, 2014
Applications must be submitted via our online application system by March 28, 2014.
Additional applications MAY be considered until the position is filled.
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit your credentials online. Create a Greenfield Community College account by clicking on the APPLY NOW tab below. You will be able to upload the following documents, which are required for consideration:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for 5 professional references
Applications must be uploaded here by March 28, 2014. Applications submitted after this date MAY be considered until the position is filled. Official transcripts must be submitted upon appointment and successful completion of a criminal background check may be required.
Already have a Greenfield Community College Employment Account? Login to your account to add documents or update your account.
|Contact:||Greenfield Community College|
|Online App. Form:||http://gcc.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=46574|
More Information on Greenfield Community College
- Institutional Profile
- Current openings for Greenfield Community College on HigherEdJobs.
- About Greenfield Community College
- Public Disclosures – Accreditation; Annual security report, etc.
- Learn about Benefits, Staff Resources, and Union Information
- Complete list of College job opportunities
- See what's been happening at GCC
- Greenfield Community College on Facebook