Job Seekers, Sign In
Business Advisor, Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses « Position Deleted on 11/23/2012 »
|Institution:||Houston Community College|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsResponsibilities: Program & Curriculum:
The Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses initiative is part of a national five-year investment to unlock the growth and job creation potential of small businesses, and is based on the broadly held view of leading experts that a combination of education, support services, and access to capital best addresses the barriers to growth for small businesses.
The educational component of the national 10,000 Small Businesses initiative will be delivered through community college partners. The financing component will be provided through partnerships with local Community Development Financial Institutions ("CDFIs") with knowledge of small businesses and a strong record of performance. These CDFIs will provide loans to qualified businesses with limited access to traditional sources of capital. Both the educational partners and the CDFI partners will provide business support services such as technical assistance.
The 10,000 Small Businesses program is comprised of three main components: business education, business support services (technical assistance and customized, one-on-one business advice) and the opportunity to access capital. The ultimate goal of the initiative is for the participating business owners to increase their revenues and create jobs in their hometown and surrounding areas. Through the support of the Goldman Sachs Foundation, each business owner that is selected to participate in the program will receive a scholarship to cover tuition and program materials.
The duties of the 10KSB Small Business Advisor include:
- Participates in the 10KSB Faculty Training Seminar with a strong emphasis on:
- Techniques for facilitating peer learning
- The triage approach for working with the scholars
- Facilitating the Growth Plan project
- Partners with faculty in the development of the localized materials as described in the core curriculum
- Leads in the identification and recruitment of local Business
- Support Services (BSS) providers
- Connects with the local partner CDFI
- Works with the identified Business Support Services providers to plan collaboration for supporting the scholars
- Reviews accepted scholar data (applications and assessment tools) to understand each scholar's individualized needs as well as the needs of the cohort
- Attends all modules to facilitate Growth Group sessions and activities.
- Meets with scholars on an individual basis at least 8-9 times per program.
- Works with scholars to connect them to external Business.
- Support Services as needed.
- Assists within the classroom to coordinate group activities and support the faculty of the day.
- Provides specific content linkages for scholars across sessions and modules.
- Assists other local faculty members as needed to support quality curriculum delivery.
- Coordinates with 10KSB Faculty on program content and delivery.
- Participates in bi-weekly debriefing sessions to support program integration and consistency.
- Provides appropriate resources and content for the Learning Management System.
- Other duties as needed to support program success.
- Engages with Business Advisors and faculty from other 10KSB cohorts (exchange of best practices, etc.).
- Attends opening and closing program events.
- Attends clinics.
- Networks with business support services providers to enhance ecosystem.
- Participates in assessment of scholars
- Participates in assessment of session.
- Participates in assessment of program.
- Other duties may be assigned.
NOTE: If you are using your college degree to qualify for this position, you must provide a photocopy of the transcript at the interview if your transcripts are not attached on line. For this position, please do not mail, fax, or bring to Human Resources any resumes, cover letters, portfolios or other un-requested materials. If you are selected for hire, an official transcript is required at that time. If you have any questions, you may contact Employment Services at (713) 718-8565.
Experience Requirements: Prefer five (5) years related work experience in entrepreneurial roles in industry.
NOTE: Part-time experience will be counted as half of full-time experience; for example, two (2) years of part-time experience will equal one (1) year of full-time experience.
Must possess a valid driver's license as local travel is generally required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Computer proficiency in Word Processing, Spreadsheets and Internet technologies required.
Demonstrated ability to develop and make presentations required.
Proven ability to work in a team environment and manage multiple tasks efficiently and effectively.
A thorough knowledge of business, entrepreneurship and industry as normally obtained through the completion of a bachelor's degree in business or a related field.
Must have participated in or personally started up a new business.
Experience leading, guiding and directing others in a training environment.
Must have the ability to professionally and effectively deliver presentations to small and large groups.
Must possess a high level of interpersonal communication skills to accurately convey information and increase positive awareness of HCCS.
Special Instructions: NOTE: If you are using your college degree to qualify for this position, you must provide a photocopy of the transcript at the interview if your transcripts are not attached on line. For this position, please do not mail, fax, or bring to Human Resources any resumes, cover letters, portfolios or other un-requested materials. If you are selected for hire, an official transcript is required at that time. If you have any questions, you may contact Employment Services at (713) 718-8565.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.