Marketing Director, FAS Development, Alumni Affairs and Development
Auto req ID: 31869BR
School/Unit: Alumni Affairs and Development
Department: FAS Development, Alumni Affairs and Development
Duties & Responsibilities:
This full-time exempt position provides informed, donor-oriented marketing communications strategy and support for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) Development Office. Success in this position depends upon essential relationships within FAS Development and with multiple partners within Alumni Affairs and Development (AA&D), the FAS Dean's Office and across the University, as well as with external service providers, consultants, and vendors.
FAS Development provides fundraising support for Harvard College (alumni and parents), the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS), and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS). The development effort is large and with great variation-from annual fund to principal gifts fundraising, leveraging and supporting a broad volunteer corps nationally and internationally. The FAS fundraising efforts are closely aligned with University efforts and the Marketing Director is the principal strategist charged with discerning, defining and directing resources toward accomplishing the FAS-specific marketing and communications objectives.
In addition to excellent client management skills and communications judgment, this position requires the ability to lead by influence, build consensus, and engage with tough questions productively. Web and digital strategy experience; familiarity with marketing analytics; and a solid understanding of communications needs and practices in the higher education sector are essential. The director must have the ability to build strong relationships, work independently, make decisions, maintain confidentiality, multitask, organize, and prioritize while maintaining high standards in a high volume environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads the ongoing assessment and management of FAS development marketing and communications needs across all audiences and channels, developing integrated strategic and tactical recommendations to meet departmental and office-wide goals and objectives.
- Leads FAS Development program to identify and prioritize fundraising communications needs, recommends strategy, and leads the implementation and execution of FAS marketing communications plans.
- Creates a calendar of all marking communications activities, aligned with constituents from AA&D and FAS Dean's Office, that drives planning and execution.
- Responsible for management and strategic direction of the direct-response marketing programs associated with Harvard College Fund and Graduate School Fund annual giving and Office of Gift Planning (online, email, mail and phone), supervising at least two professionals.
- Learns and masters messaging content in order to deploy across multiple FAS Development audiences and programs.
- Manages FAS Development's web presence on alumni.harvard.edu and the FAS Campaign web site.
- Manages day-to-day interactions for FAS Development management with the design, production and digital strategy teams within the AA&D Communications department. In consultation with the Deputy Director of Strategic Communications for AA&D, determines project prioritization and workflow associated with FAS Development projects in AA&D Communications.
- Maintains successful relationship with AA&D Communications and manages Communications resources.
- Bachelor's degree in business, marketing, or other creative field required. MBA or equivalent broad functional knowledge preferred. Experience in an agency or internal marketing team is highly desirable.
- Minimum 10+ years' experience in professional marketing management including direct-response programs using mail, email, telephone and social media. Experience working with clients, project teams, and designers required.
- Must have excellent computer skills, with MAC proficiency preferred. Knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Project, PowerPoint, Excel, and HTML highly desired. Willingness and ability to learn these programs required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage project teams required, including developing and implementing segment specific marketing plans, project schedules and budgets for existing and new programs.
- Successful track record translating business needs into content driven solutions.
- Knowledge of utilizing the Web and interactive media for marketing communications purposes highly desired.
- Knowledge of marketing research and analytics highly desired.
- Knowledge of Harvard's history and organization preferred. Knowledge of fundraising goals and techniques preferred Willingness to learn required.
- Must complete a six month University probationary period. Must maintain an excellent attendance record.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.