Instrument Materials Scientist
General Info: The Center for Material Science at JMU is seeking applicants for an Instrument Materials Scientist position.
Duties and Responsibilities: This person will have the following primary duties:
- Maintain and keep functional the instruments used by the faculty of the Center for Materials Science including but not limited to electron microscopes, scanning probe microscopes, an x-ray diffractometer, FTIR spectrometer, spectroscopic ellipsometer, metal deposition systems, optical microscopes, and other lab equipment. Prior experience working with several of these instruments is desirable but the ability to learn new instruments is critical.
- Train undergraduate students on the use of these instruments and assist them with undergraduate research projects.
- Assist the faculty when using these instruments for instructional purposes.
- Assist visiting scientists such as those from local industries who need to use these instruments.
- Work with staff in the various departments and the Center for Materials Science when needed to order supplies or repairs for the facilities.
Qualifications: The person in the position should have at least a master's degree in physics, chemistry, materials science or a related field. Individuals with an earned doctorate are encouraged to apply.
Pay Rate: Commensurate w/ experience