Job Seekers, Sign In
Adjunct Faculty - Open Rank (Multiple Positions) - The New Community College at CUNY « Position Deleted on 8/22/2012 »
|Institution:||The New Community College at CUNY|
|Location:||New York, NY|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsJob Title:
Adjunct Faculty - Open Rank (Multiple Positions) - The New Community College at CUNY
The New Community College at CUNY seeks dynamic, entrepreneurial, enthusiastic, and qualified adjunct educators to participate in instructional teams as part of an innovative First-Year Experience. Course/Semester-based assignments to begin Fall 2012. Successful candidates will be dedicated and committed to preparing urban community college students, who typically enter college under-prepared, to perform at the college level, for academic success and completion; successfully use a range of effective curricular, teaching, and support strategies; be flexible and open to collaborating, sharing, and learning from others; be able to analyze the conceptual demands of assignments across the disciplines for integration into the College's interdisciplinary first-year experience; and share the College's vision to serve an academically, linguistically, and culturally diverse student body.
Adjunct educators, at the Adjunct Lecturer, Adjunct Assistant/Associate/Full Professor ranks, are needed to teach in the following four courses:
- City Seminar - Case Study: an interdisciplinary course that immerses students in the study of urban issues while building basic and critical thinking skills;
- City Seminar - Quantitative Reasoning: a course that develops students' numeracy skills to generate and interpret multiple forms of data;
- Ethnographies of Work: a course grounded in the social sciences that examines workplaces as cultures and serves as a starting point for students to think about their professional futures;
- Statistics: an introductory statistics course taught over one or two semesters.
Located in Manhattan, the New Community College expects to admit the first 300 student cohort in August 2012. The centerpiece of the educational model is an integrated first-year curriculum that builds the academic, linguistic and affective skills necessary for success in college and career. Other model features include using New York City as a learning context in and out of the classroom, integrating student support services, and using ePortfolios. The NCC will open with five majors: business administration, information technology, human services, liberal arts and sciences, and urban studies.
For Adjunct Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Full Professor: Ph.D. degree in area(s) of expertise required, or equivalent as noted below. Also required is the ability to teach successfully.
For Adjunct Lecturer: Bachelor's degree in area(s) of expertise required and other qualifications noted below as necessary to fulfill job duties. Also required is the ability to teach successfully. A Master's degree is strongly preferred.
Other Qualifications: Successful candidates will have the following professional and specialized competencies:
- An advanced degree in a discipline related to the course material you wish to be considered;
- Demonstrated capacity to use a diverse range of effective instructional strategies and openness to adopting new practices;
- Understanding of urban community college students' assets and challenges.
- Currently working towards completing a doctorate degree if you do not possess one;
- Five or more years of teaching experience at the secondary or college level;
- Experience teaching developmental skills courses, especially within a content based curriculum;
- Experience with team-teaching or teaching interdisciplinary courses;
- Experience or background in implementing active instructional strategies;
- Commitment and ability to take full advantage of a technology-rich environment;
- Experience working with an economically and culturally diverse student body;
- Knowledge and/or experience related to the topics of sustainability or immigration.
To Apply: Click the following link cuny.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=32447 (or copy & paste it to your web browser) to apply via the Interview Exchange application processing website. For full consideration, complete applications must be submitted with the following required documents: a letter of interest with the courses for which you would like to be considered; curriculum vitae; a statement of teaching philosophy; and contact information for at least three professional references.
CUNY Job Notice #: FY19705;
Interview Exchange Job ID #: 32447;
Close Date: August 31, 2012 to develop a robust candidate pool. Initial review of applications will begin June 12, 2012.
To see the full job posting/position description and qualification requirements, go to the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu/employment.html. Click on Additional Job Opportunities under the Search for Jobs section of the page, and then click the Job Title for the position.
EEO Statement: The City University of New York (CUNY) is an EO/AA Employer.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.