Job Seekers, Sign In
FT Staff: Senior Program Assistant (PR06112013NW B) « Position Deleted on 7/10/2013 »
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsDEPARTMENT: Academic Success
Do NOT use the "Apply for this position through My HigherEdJobs.com" feature to apply.
To be considered for employment, a candidate who meets job opening qualifications must complete the following steps for EACH job opening to which the qualified candidate applies.
Submit ALL the following documents in ONE package directly to the Human Resources Department, by ONLY ONE of the following methods: mailed hard copy (recommended for the best presentation of your credentials), or by fax to (919) 546-8484.
- A fully completed Shaw University Application Form (see link below for write-in Application).
- A current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Unofficial transcript of the highest degree received
A resume or curriculum vitae without an accompanying Shaw University Application Form, and other required documents, cannot be accepted.
Any potential hire is contingent upon the FINALIST candidate's ordering OFFICIAL transcript(s) of the highest degree received (as required by the job posting qualifications) to be MAILED DIRECTLY FROM the institution(s) DIRECTLY to: Human Resources Department, Shaw University, 118 E. South Street, Raleigh, NC 27601. Hand-delivered sealed transcripts will not be considered as official - they must be received directly from the awarding institution(s).
Candidates are personally responsible for any potential travel and/or relocation expenses incurred.
The Senior Program Coordinator is accountable for enhancing students' academic and professional success through the effective coordination of the academic advising process for students who are undecided in selecting a major. The position requires special skills, abilities and frequent discretionary judgment to independently implement appropriate courses of action following an evaluation of complex situations involving individual student situations, academic major requirements, and university policy. Strict confidentiality of student record information and data is essential. The position provides one-on-one counseling, group training, database management and production of ad hoc reports. Additionally the position assists the department head in the training, prioritization and assignment of work to other staff in the academic advising unit.
- A Master's degree from accredited institution.
- Two years related work experience in advising and providing academic support to students.
- Preferred candidate will have the following:
- Documented experience working with orientation programs for freshman and /or sophomore and transfer students and their families.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and abilities to effectively lead and collaborate with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty and administrators.
- A high level of computer skill proficiency in data management, creations of complex spreadsheets, ad hoc reporting, and mail merged documents, utilizing Microsoft Office software.
- Exceptional organizational, coaching/counseling and influencing skills with young adults.
- The flexibility, skills, and ability to thrive in an environment with ample workloads, changing priorities and deadline pressure
- Assists students in exploring careers, evaluating academic abilities, and setting goals.
- Advises students individually and in groups regarding educational options and resources available.
- Facilitates advisees' pursuit of fields of interest by effectively explaining the requirements and academic options of various majors.
- Accurately assesses the student's stage of development (academic, career, and personal) and promotes student growth by determining suitable developmental tasks.
- Assists students in establishing realistic and attainable academic and career goals.
- Effectively advises students on academic and career issues; identifies the educational career options appropriate for each student and assists with the analysis of each option, including possible outcomes and their implications.
- As appropriate, refers students to Shaw University Center for Experiential Learning and Career Development.
- Sets up appropriate action plans for students to explore alternative careers and related majors.
- Accurately identifies options for students to satisfy degree requirements; evaluates and makes recommendations on petitions and amendments to student's program of study; assists student in completion.
- Provides timely information on course/degree options and University policies.
- Refers students to major advisors as appropriate.
- Assists students with admission and registration.
- Promptly responds to inquiries regarding Student Academic Progress (SAP) concerns.
- Continuously monitors academic and personal progress of advisees.
- Determines eligibility and satisfactory progress toward degree.
- Assists in the review of transcripts for students scheduled to graduate to ensure all graduation requirements have been met.
- Audits the Academic Advising module and verifies students with declared majors are assigned to the correct academic advisor for their majors.
- Analyzes Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) reports from faculty to identify academically at-risk students.
- Provides appropriate intervention action.
- Develops appropriate Academic Recovery Plans for low performing students, students initially admitted under a probationary status, or students who have received a "D" or "F" in a course at mid-term or end of semester.
- Tracks down and initiates advisement counseling with academically at-risk students.
- Prepares and reviews SAP packets for Satisfactory Academic Progress Committee meetings.
- Attends SAP hearings and presents cases to the Committee.
- Explains re-admittance procedures to academically dismissed students.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Contingent upon grant funding
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid annual leave
- Paid holidays
- Must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
- Subject to a background check, drug screen.
Do NOT use the "Apply for this position through My HigherEdJobs.com" feature to apply. Follow the APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS at the top of this job posting.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.