Job Seekers, Sign In
FT Staff-Admin. Asst. for Academic Dept.-Social Sciences (PR011813) « Position Deleted on 7/01/2013 »
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsDEPARTMENT: Social Sciences
To be considered for employment, a candidate who meets job opening qualifications must complete the following steps for EACH job opening to which the qualified candidate applies.
1. Submit ALL the following documents in ONE package directly to the Human Resources Department, by ONLY ONE of the following methods: mailed hard copy (recommended for the best presentation of your credentials), or by fax to (919) 546-8484.
- A fully completed Shaw University Application Form (see link below for write-in Application).
- A current resume or curriculum vitae.
2. Order "Official" transcript(s) of the highest degree received (as required by the job posting qualifications) to be MAILED DIRECTLY FROM the institution(s) DIRECTLY to: Human Resources Department, Shaw University, 118 E. South Street, Raleigh, NC 27601.
- A job posting qualification requiring a Ph.D. requires an official transcript from the institution awarding the Ph.D. degree, and the transcript must be mailed from the awarding institution directly to the Shaw University Human Department.
- A job posting qualification requiring a high school diploma requires a high school transcript or G.E.D. from the issuing institution.
Following the Human Resources office's receipt of both (1) a candidate's fully completed application package for a current job opening AND (2) mailed receipt of a candidate's official transcript(s) directly from the awarding institution, then a candidate can be considered for employment and their application and transcript information shall be submitted to the recruiting manager and/or selection committee for review.
If viewing a job posting on the HigherEdJobs.com website (or other employment ad websites), do NOT use the "Apply for this position through My HigherEdJobs.com" feature to attempt to apply.
Candidates are personally responsible for any potential travel and/or relocation expenses incurred.
Position provides a full-range of clerical support to department chair and faculty in the assigned academic department of the college. Under guidelines and procedures established by the University. Performs full intermediate-level administrative support: including front-desk customer service and phone coverage; drafting of correspondence and reports, preparation of purchase requisitions; calendar management and meeting coordination; maintenance of office supplies and back-up to other administrative support personnel in academic affairs, as assigned. Position also creates and maintains hard copy and digital files and records; processes mail; and frequently performs hand-delivery of documents on-campus. Ensures internal/external client satisfaction work with a diverse population of faculty, students, staff and visitors.
- Three years related work experience as a full-support departmental secretary;
- A high school diploma or GED.
- Specialized secretarial skills training with proficiency in Word, Excel, Power Point, and email, proper document preparation and formatting, and general business protocol.
- Must be proficient in the following software functions: mail merge, tables, charts and graphs, spreadsheets, and email.
- Associates Degree in Office Systems Technology or Secretarial Science.
- Prior experience of demonstrated success supporting a higher education academic department.
- OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Provides effective front-desk coverage for assigned department.
- Anticipates needs of the academic college support group and works proactively to meet them. Takes initiate to troubleshoot and research issues, as appropriate, prior to referring to the supervisor.
- Accurately and timely relays messages between parties, i.e. deans, chairs, faculty and students.
- Anticipates needs of chairs, faculty and students and works proactively to meet them. Takes initiate to troubleshoot and research issues, as appropriate, prior to referring to assigned department/unit head.
- As assigned and applicable, manages the work appointment calendar for assigned department/unit head.
- Creates, maintains and ensures the accuracy, timeliness and completeness of historical forms, records and files, as assigned or applicable.
- Ensures security of all confidential data and information.
- Maintaining budgetary records and tracks budgetary expenses for the department(s)/unit budget.
- Prepares and properly codes invoices for payment, ensures supervisory approval.
- Prepares purchasing requisitions.
- Coordinates meetings and events.
- Effectively handles departmental mail.
- Effectively maintains departmental office supplies and materials.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid annual leave
- Paid holidays
- Must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
- Subject to a background check, drug screen.
Do NOT use the "Apply for this position through My HigherEdJobs.com" feature to apply. Follow the APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS at the top of this job posting.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.