Job Seekers, Sign In
Faculty, Dental Hygiene « Position Deleted on 12/20/2013 »
|Institution:||Austin Community College District|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsPosition open until filled.
Originally posted on 06/26/2013
|Salary||Salary is assigned according to the Full-Time Faculty Salary Scale|
|Criminal Background Check||Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.|
To instruct students in Dental Hygiene courses in accordance with College policies and procedures.
Department Chair, Dental Hygiene
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Facilitates, supervises and evaluates students in a variety of clinical settings. Clinical locations, days and times may vary.
- Participates in ongoing curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation. Assists Department Chair with program accreditation requirements.
- Instructs students in the Dental Hygiene discipline. Provides learning activities that stimulate student involvement and encourage critical thinking.
- Utilizes innovative teaching strategies to meet the learning needs of a diverse student population including interactive video technology, online format and other uses of technology.
- Maintains regular office hours to assist students; responds to students' emails and voice mails in a timely manner; accurate assessment of student performance and timely filing of grades.
- Maintains professional competencies in the subject area and currency in instructional methodologies through professional associations and professional development.
- Plans and organizes syllabi, course work, study guides and other support materials for the classroom setting as well as online learning. Participates in curriculum development, implementation, and review in accordance with college concerns.
- Participates in graduation, general assembly, and other official College functions. Serves as an academic advisor to assigned students.
- Serves on college-wide and departmental committees as needed.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Department Chair, Dean, Associate Vice President, and/or the Executive Vice President.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of effective instructional techniques and innovative modes of course delivery adaptable to a variety of learning styles.
- Must be knowledgeable about and capable of using current technologies in the classroom and to convey online course content.
- Extensive knowledge of the discipline, subject matter, and related and/or relevant topics and issues in the teaching discipline.
- Understanding of the comprehensive mission and philosophy of community colleges.
- Sensitive issues relating to a diverse student body.
- Principles and practices associated with Servant-Leadership.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Effective leadership, team building skills and a strong customer-orientation when working with diverse students, faculty, administration, community and business leaders.
- Effective planning, organizing, communication, and interpersonal skills including use of tact and discretion and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Effective assistance of student learning, using a variety of learning styles.
- Interacting with students of diverse backgrounds.
- Being punctual for classes and office hours.
- Maintaining an established schedule that may vary by semester and that may include evenings and weekends and multiple campus locations.
- Maintaining confidentiality of student information.
- Demonstrated proficiency using computer applications, online resources, and other technologies for the classroom and online learning as well as to develop and build course content and perform administrative duties (posting office hours, syllabi, grades, etc.)
- Work is routinely performed in a classroom setting.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students.
- Manual dexterity and physical ability to use and demonstrate tools and equipment in Dental Hygiene.
- Three years clinical experience as a licensed dental hygienist.
- Five or more years experience of effective community college teaching in an accredited dental hygiene program.
- More than three years non-teaching work experience and demonstrated ability to teach effectively at the community college level.
- Experience as a clinical course director/clinic coordinator.
- In accordance with SACS accreditation requirements: DDS or Bachelor's degree in Dental Hygiene, or Associate degree in Dental Hygiene. (Note: 2 year University Certificate plus general education courses equates to Associate degree.) SACS requirements may differ depending on the courses taught within the discipline. For specific requirements by course, please see the current year Faculty Qualifications Table.
- Bachelor's degree in Dental Hygiene.
- Current license, in good standing, to practice dental hygiene in Texas. Restricted licensure, such as a dental school faculty license will not qualify.
- Provide resources for safe operation of units. Provide financial and human resources to help eliminate identified safety hazards. Create and support a workplace safety culture by leadership and example.
Applications are complete upon receipt of an official transcript. ACC only accepts transcripts that are mailed directly from educational institutions. Educational Institutions must mail transcripts to the Highland Business Center, Attn. E.M. Breedlove, 5930 Middle Fiskville Road, Austin, TX 78752.
Transcript Policy http://www.austincc.edu/hr/apply/transcriptpolicy.php
Applicants who have degrees earned from educational institutions located outside of the United States are required to have their transcripts evaluated by a recognized credential evaluation service prior to applying for Faculty and/or Adjunct Faculty positions. If the transcripts are in a foreign language, applicants also need to have their transcripts translated prior to applying for ACC job opportunities.
Foreign Transcript Policy http://www.austincc.edu/hr/apply/transcriptpolicy.php
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 90 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
Austin Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.