Director of Campus Recreation
- Admin - Student Affairs and Services
- Admin - Athletics and Coaching
Bellarmine University is a dynamic, growing university with a strong liberal arts focus in the Catholic tradition and a bold vision for the future. By 2020, Bellarmine intends to significantly increase undergraduate and graduate enrollment (currently approximately 3,400 students) and add several new graduate programs, while maintaining small class sizes and personal attention to students. Bellarmine is a top university in Forbes' list of America's best colleges, is listed in the Princeton Review's 373 Best Colleges, and is ranked 11th among Southern universities in the 2013 U.S. News and World Report. Bellarmine is located on a scenic 144-acre campus in the Highlands neighborhood of Louisville, KY, which was named one of the Top 10 "Best Cities for Families" by Parenting Magazine.
The primary functions of the Director of Campus Recreation are to help support the goals of the department and division by serving as the Director of the Department of Sport, Recreation, and Fitness (SuRF). This includes administrative management, coordination of initiatives, supervision of students, assistant director, interns and part-time staff, facilities management, and internal/external customer relations. Use judgment and discretion for problem solving and managing a complex, dynamic facility containing six outdoor tennis courts, three indoor tennis courts, two basketball/volleyball courts, a fitness area including cardiovascular equipment, weight machines and free weights.
• Responsible for overall management, philosophy, vision, assessment, and strategic planning for the campus recreation center.
• Supervise the Assistant Director for Intramural and Club Sports, approximately 20 student employees, a graduate intern, and part-time staff including selection, training, scheduling and evaluation in addition to tracking payroll.
• Collaborate with students and other campus stakeholders to implement recreation and wellness programs to increase student, faculty, and staff recreation involvement in addition to emphasizing employee and student wellness.
• Coordinate group fitness classes, personal training, and personal training education including program scheduling and promotion.
• Supervise facility maintenance including management of maintenance contracts for facility and equipment; submit and monitor completion of work requests to University Facilities Department as needed and coordination of cleaning and equipment repairs.
• Manage alumni and other fitness center memberships and maintain data bases.
• Administer the SuRF budgets including oversight of all purchasing and inventory maintenance.
• Marketing campus recreation initiatives within the University community through social media
outlets and Web page maintenance.
• Oversee facility schedule and reservations for intramurals, athletic teams, campus groups, camps, special events and rentals.
• Offer logistical support to campus groups and departments utilizing facility for special events
• Actively work with student committees to develop and implement student programs as well as determine student needs.
• Work with information services to maintain membership ID system for recreation center
members and accurately evaluate facility usage.
• Manage parking permits and ensure parking information is accurately documented in CARS.
• Provide on-site emergency response as needed.
• All other duties as assigned
Applicants must have a master's degree in exercise science, health promotion, campus recreation or a related field. A minimum of two years experience working in campus recreation is required. A solid knowledge of college recreation, college student fitness, and the innerworkings of a campus recreation center is necessary, as is a passion for collaborating with college-aged students and a genuine interest in helping others reach their fitness goals. Strong interpersonal skills and effective communication skills are necessary to this position.
Bellarmine is an equal opportunity employer. Persons of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for 3 professional references by clicking on the Apply Now button contained in this posting. Applications are being accepted and review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.