Wildlife Lead Worker/Technician « Position Deleted on 9/05/2012 »
Natural Resource Specialist I
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech, founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution, is currently ranked as a Top 30 Public University by US News & World Report and a Top 30 Public Research University by the National Science Foundation. Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto: Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). As the Commonwealth's most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech serves a diverse population of 30,000+ students and 8000+ faculty and staff from over 100 countries, and is engaged in research around the world. Invent the Future at Virginia Tech.
- Assist wildlife and natural resource managers at Quantico, Marine Corps Base, Virginia through:
- Participating in vegetation management activities at Quantico to include management of vegetation for improvement of military training areas, grassland wildlife habitat, and soil stabilization.
- Assisting in Quantico's prescribed burning program and monitoring the impacts of prescribed fire.
- Assist Quantico wildlife managers to survey fish and wildlife populations using a variety of standard techniques.
- Provide assistance in the operation and maintenance of the Quantico game check station.
- Participate in the control and management of invasive species.
Post secondary coursework in Botany, Biology, Ecology, Wildlife Sciences, Forestry, Environmental Science or related field; experience in performing basic wildlife and natural resource management tasks; experience navigating over rough terrain using topography maps, GPS and compass and must be willing to work in adverse weather and field conditions.
Experience in operating game check stations and agricultural equipment preferred.
Must have a criminal background check
Must have a driver's license check
How to Apply for this Job
Interested applicants must complete an online application at http://www.jobs.vt.edu, posting #0122244.
Virginia Tech is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution.
If restricted or temporary, enter end date
one year from start
Non-exempt: Eligible for overtime
Academic Year or Calendar Year
Advertised Pay Range
Commensurate with Experience
Conservation Management Institute
College / Sr. Management
College of Natural Resources and Environment
National Capital Region
Location, if not Blacksburg:
Job Posting Date
Review Begin Date
Restricted to university employees only?
Documents that must be associated with this posting