Job Seekers, Sign In
Dean of Students « Position Deleted on 11/20/2012 »
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsShimer College, a four-year "great books" liberal arts college in Chicago, seeks a highly-qualified student services/student life professional to support and enhance the student co-curricular experience. Experience with retention, programming, compliance, working with diverse populations and one-on-one student support required. The successful candidate must have the capacity to collaborate extensively with IIT and VanderCook College of Music (the institutions with which Shimer shares a campus), manage budgets and lead student staff. For more information about Shimer College, please visit www.shimer.edu.
Essential responsibilities include:
- Planning and implementation of programs on and off campus to achieve student satisfaction and retention goals
- In consultation with Dean of the College and IIT Counseling Center, mentoring students with wide-ranging needs and from diverse backgrounds
- Fostering collaboration between Shimer and IIT/VanderCook to develop and promote shared student programming and activities
- In collaboration with Dean of the College, planning and executing orientation programming for new students
- Running SIM, Shimer's Internship/Mentorship program, and developing additional mission-specific programming as supported by the budget
- Working with Grievance, Appeals and Judicial Committee; serving as Chair of Quality of Life Committee
- Supervising student employees
- Ensuring compliance and best practices
- Advanced degree in Counseling, Higher Education or related field
- Focused experience as a student life professional in a higher education setting
- Understanding of and enthusiasm for a liberal arts education
- Experience planning programming for diverse populations of students
- Knowledge of relevant policies, procedures and regulations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative setting
Submit letter of interest, cover letter, and names and contact information for three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of applications will begin September 24, 2012 and continue until the position is filled. We regret that we are unable to respond to email or telephone requests for information regarding the search and/or status of your application.
Shimer College is an equal-opportunity educator and employer. As a small, dynamic, and unique liberal arts college, Shimer College offers ambitious individuals many opportunities for independent action in a work environment based on collaboration, accountability, creativity, and diversity and dedicated to excellence in higher education.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.