Job Seekers, Sign In
Access Archives Specialist 10922 « Position Deleted on 3/07/2013 »
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsSalisbury University is seeking an energetic, dynamic, and qualified applicant to join the staff of the Edward H. Nabb Research Center for Delmarva History and Culture as Access Archives Specialist. The primary purpose of the position is to make the manuscript, archival, and artifactual collections of the Nabb Center as usable and discoverable as possible. Working with other staff, the Access Archives Specialist will appraise, organize, process, and describe existing and new collections according to professional and national standards. He or she will work with other staff to improve online access to collections and promote the collections through various means.
Primary Job Duties:
- Doing retrospective appraisal and processing for existing collections including assessing research and teaching value, evaluating conservation needs, making retention decisions (in conjunction with other staff), re-processing as needed, and creating or revising collection records and finding aids.
- In conjunction with other staff, establishing processing priorities and appropriate level of processing for backlogged material and existing collections that need re-processing.
- In collaboration with the University Archivist, developing and maintaining the units processing and procedures manual, ensuring that archival processing, arrangement, and description meet nationally accepted standards.
- Assisting in the accessioning of new collections.
- Assisting in making digital contentincluding collection descriptions, finding aids, and digitized materialsavailable online.
- Collaborating with Library Technical Services on the creation of collection-level MARC records.
- Helping the University Archivist with supervising and coordinating the work of student assistants, interns, and volunteers working on archives and manuscripts.
- Promoting knowledge and use of material in the collections through social media such as Facebook and Twitter and by assisting with exhibits and publications.
- Performing minor book and archival preservation measures.
- Providing backup assistance in Nabb reading room with researchers and classes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Familiarity with EAD, DACS, and other archival standards.
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with a collection management system such as Archon, Archivists' Toolkit, or PastPerfect.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Physical ability to lift archival boxes weighing up to 40 pounds and to push a loaded cart weighing up to 200 pounds.
- Master's degree in library science, archives, or history with strong training in archives.
- Experience in creating and managing digital content.
- Experience as a supervisor.
- Knowledge of book and archival preservation.
Applications will be accepted via Salisbury University's Online Employment Application System. Please visit our website http://www.salisbury.edu/HR/Jobs/ to apply online. See the FAQs of the Online Employment Application System for more information and instructions.
To be considered an applicant, you must apply online and submit all of the following: A cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of at least three (3) professional references. All documents that you wish to provide must be attached to your application in the Online Employment Application System. Please do not send any documents via E-mail.
Applications received by January 9, 2013 will be given first consideration. The position will remain open until filled.
Founded in 1925, Salisbury University is one of 13 institutions that compose the University System of Maryland. Salisbury University is a selective undergraduate institution with the University System of Maryland. The University is close to ocean beaches and the Chesapeake Bay and 2 - 3 hours from the metropolitan areas of Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Norfolk. SU has been cited nationally as one of the top ten public regional universities in the North, according to the U.S. News and World Report, and has also been recognized by the Princeton Review and Kiplinger's magazine. SU has 380 full-time faculty members, serving a student population of approximately 8,600.
Salisbury University has a strong institutional commitment to diversity and is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, providing equal employment and educational opportunities to all those qualified, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, or sexual orientation.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.