Job Seekers, Sign In
Controller « Position Deleted on 2/10/2013 »
|Institution:||National Labor College|
|Location:||Silver Spring, MD|
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
|Salary:||$100,000 USD Per Year|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsThe National Labor College is the only institution in the United States with an exclusive mission in service to the labor movement. NLC is first and foremost a teaching institution. The learning environment is made up of students and faculty who together form a learning community based on a common understanding of the world of work and the ecology of the labor movement. Its student body is made up of experienced, working adults who have multiple commitments to family, job, union and community. The College honors higher learning that takes place both inside and outside the College classroom and has a fully developed Prior Learning Assessment program in place. It is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education to offer degree completion baccalaureate degrees. The College currently offers seven Bachelor degrees, and expects to be able to offer an Associate of Arts degree in the near future.
For more information about the college and its programs, please visit the website www.nlc.edu.
The rapid expansion of our academic programs requires a Controller who is willing and able to exercise aggressive leadership and efficient management for all aspects of the accounting, disbursement, and financial reporting responsibilities that are essential to the sound fiscal operation of the institution. This is a hands-on position, with four other staff persons reporting.
Examples of Primary Duties
- Provides oversight and direction as it relates to all accounting functions, including Accounts Payable, Billing/Accounts Receivable, Contracts/Grants, Purchasing, Payroll, month end and year end closing activities, and vendor management.
- Responsible for the preparation of the College's financial reports, management reports, and regular analytics as well as the year-end financial statements and audit in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Oversees cash flow planning and ensures availability of funds needed; monitors cash flow and provides cash flow projections.
- Responsible for providing effective financial controls for the College. Ensures internal controls and confidentiality are established, maintained and revised as appropriate; monitors procedural systems, identifies issues/weaknesses and recommends changes and/or improvements.
- Ensures all legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Maintains oversight and responsibility for staff training and development, employee retention, and employee relations to foster a positive work environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: CPA Certificate. BS in Accounting, Business Administration, or related fields of studies.
Experience: A minimum of ten years experience in progressively responsible accounting and finance management positions
Knowledge Skills and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of GAAP as they apply to non-profit accounting and auditing procedures, laws, rules and regulations.
- Strong attention to detail, problem solving, and communication skills are required
- Demonstrated skill in conducting in-depth, comprehensive analysis of financial systems to identify accounting control risks and weaknesses.
- Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with individuals in the organization, state and federal government agencies as well as various internal and external auditors.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Master's degree in business administration.
- Experience with Great Plains and Sungard applications.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three letters of reference to:
Applications will be reviewed beginning January 2, 2013 and will be accepted until the search is concluded.
The National Labor College is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
That National Labor College is committed to equal opportunity. Women, persons of color, ethnic minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.