Systems Engineer, Intermediate
DePaul University, the nation's largest Catholic University, is a private, urban institution with 6 campuses and more than 275 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. The University's faculty, students and staff represent a wide range of ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds.
The Systems Engineer, Intermediate, under general supervision, will install, configure, and maintain Windows and Linux operating systems, servers, storage, and applications in support of business processing requirements. This position will perform hardware installations, operating system installations, and upgrade to operating systems and software packages. This position will also be responsible for system services setup and maintenance, user administration, and end user support. The Systems Engineer, Intermediate will ensure server data integrity by evaluating, implementing, and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions. This position will provide storage resources in support of business processing requirements. This position will also ensure data/media recoverability by implementing and performing system backups. The Systems Engineer, Intermediate will also support media management through internal methods and procedures and through off-site storage and retrieval services. This position will monitor systems and troubleshoot service interruptions to achieve optimum performance levels. This position will also conduct routine hardware and software audits of servers to ensure compliance with established standards, policies, and configuration guidelines. The Systems Engineer, Intermediate will generate growth statistics, space forecasts, and hardware and software inventories.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide hardware, operating systems, and storage resources; including racking and relocating equipment.
- Install, configure, monitor, troubleshoot, and maintain operating systems, system services, and applications.
- Support user administration and end user support by utilizing DePaul's ticketing system.
- Provide documentation for Tier I and Tier II support.
- Maintain documentation of system profiles.
- Collect, analyze, and report on system logs, events, metrics, and activities.
- Assist senior level staff members with advanced maintenance and troubleshooting activities.
- Assist in budget planning, forecasting, generating quotes and system specifications.
- Work on projects, as assigned, and seek continuous operational improvement.
- Develop and implement scripts, service checks, and automated processes for provisioning and supporting the University's 24x7 data center operation. Monitor and tune server performance.
- Maintain security patching and access at the server level, adhering to the University's security policy.
- Monitor all storage and need for hardware resources, allocating appropriately on demand.
- Ensure data recoverability to meet RPO/RTO targets in support of business requirements.
- Perform backup/recovery procedures, media rotation, offsite services, administration, monitoring, and reporting of enterprise backup solution.
- Provide supervisory duties for student employees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors of Arts/Bachelors of Science in a technical field or equivalent work experience.
- Experience in open source software, scripting, systems management, and automation.
- Development experience either through formal education or work experience.
- Intermediate background in systems administration and storage administration with a minimum of 3-5 years experience.
- Intermediate knowledge of Windows, linux/unix and VMWare.
- Intermediate level aptitude for administering websites in IIS or Apache.
- Ability to troubleshoot medium to complex technical problems using generally accepted troubleshooting principles.
- Ability to research issues and learn independently.
- Ability to keep abreast of relevant new technology and retain information.
- Ability to teach others basic skills.
- Ability to routinely lift +50 lbs in order to install/move datacenter hardware and other relevant equipment.
- Ability to produce professional technical documentation for relevant operating environments.
- Ability to create and maintain professional relationships with customers, co-workers, peers, and vendors.
- Ability to explain complex technical problems or functions in a non technical fashion.
- Ability to be on call 24/7 on a weekly rotating schedule, based on primary and secondary support assignments.
- Ability to routinely work off hours, including nights and weekends.
- May be called in as the subject matter expert on non-scheduled basis.
- Professional level Unix/Linux certification.
- Professional level Microsoft certification (MCSE/MCITP/MCM).
Salary & Benefits:
DePaul offers comprehensive and competitive pay and benefits to attract and retain talent to further the University's mission. Please click on the following link to review the full Benefits Summary. https://hr.depaul.edu/Benefits/index.html
Required Background Screening:
All final candidates extended an offer of employment will undergo background screening.
DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.