Temporary- Teacher Assistant (CTD Summer)
Tentative training date: June 27, 2013
Week 1: June 30 - July 5, 2013
Week 2: July 7 - July 12, 2013
Week 3: July 14 - July 19, 2013
Starting salary $400 per week, increasing to $450 per week depending on CTD Summer Program experience.
July 21 - August 2, 2013
Starting salary $800 per session, increasing to $850 per session depending on CTD Summer Program experience.
Apogee and Spectrum
Session 1: June 30 - July 19, 2013
Session 2: July 21 - August 9, 2013
Starting salary $1,200 per session, increasing to $1,300 per session depending on CTD Summer Program experience
Please complete additional documents by going to: http://www.northwestern.edu/hr/policies-forms/forms/hiring/index.htmland selecting (2013 Summer Staff Supplemental Application).
For any questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Summary: This position is for the Spark, Solstice, Apogee, and Spectrum Programs located in Evanston and Elmhurst.
Teaching Assistants (TAs) must possess and demonstrate an interest in the academic, social and emotional growth of children and/or adolescents, serve as mature and positive role models for students, and exhibit a strong work ethic and commitment to teamwork. TAs work closely with instructors and the Academic Coordinators (ACs) to provide academically challenging instruction to CTD students, and carry out administrative tasks as assigned by the instructor and ACs. TAs reinforce course content and study skills during evening study sessions.
- Carefully review all program, site and staff materials provided by the Summer Program. Return all completed paperwork as requested;
- Attend staff training;
- Uphold and promote the CTD Honor Code;
- Follow all CTD rules and regulations concerning staff conduct, appropriate dress, program procedures, and other responsibilities as set forth in the staff handbook and by administrative staff;
- Assume program related responsibilities as requested by CTD administrative staff.
CTD Teaching Assistants (TAs) are required to:
- Science TAs:participate in Northwestern University and outside laboratory safety training;
- Communicate with instructor to review course syllabus, schedule, course goals and instructor's expectations of the TA role.
- Uphold and promote the standard of supervision with students as required by program;
- Prepare for specific lessons and daily duties by keeping up with course content, readings, etc.;
- Be prepared to substitute for classroom teacher, if necessary;
- On Opening Day, move classroom supplies to the classroom, prepare the classroom for the next day's class, and welcome and meet students and families alongside the instructor:
- Spark TAs:Attend Opening Day of each session (Sundays) from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.;
- Solstice TAs:Attend Opening Day (Sunday) from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.;
- Apogee, Spectrum & Equinox TAs:Attend Opening Day (Sundays) from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Responsibilities on Opening Day include moving classroom supplies to the classroom, preparing the classroom for the next day's class, and welcoming and meeting students and families alongside the instructor;
- Arrive promptly and be present for all required work hours:
- Spark TAs:7:45 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 6:15 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evening study sessions;
- Solstice, Apogee and Spectrum TAs: 7:45 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 6:15 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. for Tuesday and Thursday evening study sessions;
- Equinox TAs:hours TBD, Monday through Friday, and some afternoon/evening work time.
- Assist instructors with all instruction-related tasks (leading small groups, grading assignments, set up and clean up of rooms, etc.);
- TAs are required to be available for academic preparation before and after class as determined by the needs of the course and instructor;
- Science TAs:assist instructor and/or Lab Prep Coordinator in the set up and clean up of labs; and implement safety plans according to university guidelines and regulations;
- Support students in developing their study and time management skills;
- Assist students in class, as needed;
- Communicate with academic, residential, and administrative staff regarding student progress and problems as requested by instructor. Complete and promptly submit Communication Forms concerning student academic and behavioral issues and submit them within 12 hours of any incident;
- Walk with and monitor students to and from designated dining halls, and monitor them during the lunch period, as well as during restroom breaks, labs, and field trip activities;
- Walk with and monitor students to and from class and the drop-off and pick-up locations;
- TAs are strongly encouraged to supervise several recreational activities per session;
- Assist instructors with student evaluations by keeping notes on students' performance on assignments and projects, comments during discussion, behavior, etc. as requested by instructor.
- Work with Academic Office staff to administer of the End of Course (EOC) surveys to students;
- Help to collect samples of student work and materials for the course file;
- Attend Parent Teacher conferences on Closing Days.
- Complete program evaluation and evaluation of instructor;
- Assist instructor in cleaning classroom and returning supplies to the Summer Program Office.
Current or past enrollment in a college undergraduate or graduate degree program required; a current teacher with one to two years of experience preferred. Previous experience working with children in a classroom or camp setting is a plus. Applicants must demonstrate a genuine interest in and awareness of the academic and emotional needs of bright students. Teaching assistants must demonstrate a mature and positive attitude and serve as role models for students and other staff members.
Please email your Essay Response(s) and your Supplemental Application to email@example.com
"As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment."
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Date Posted: 12/11/2012